Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used Sunset Imports to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 11:50 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Anyone used Sunset Imports to Canada?

Since I have to order a fairly substantial pile of parts to fix my clutch problem, I took another rennlisters advice and asked for a quote from Sunset Imports.

The prices look good but they are difficult to deal with as far as payments and shipping are concerned. They won't take anything but a money order and they will only ship UPS (Which rips you off for brokerage fees in Canada)

As a buyer this leaves you in an awfully precarious position as you send basically cash to a company you have never seen.

I have no idea why they can't run my Visa like any of the other 8 billion companies worldwide.

Anyways I would feel better knowing someone else from Canada has dealt with them, and received their parts in good order, etc etc, before pulling a couple thousand out from under my mattress.

Anyone have any experiences? Good or Bad?

Thanx
Kirk

Attached below is sunsets international policy:

Here's an explanation of our international billing program.
We now use a new electronic billing system that recognizes and
authorizes payments only within the United States. It verifies that we
would be shipping to the billing address of the credit card and
protects
us and the card holder against fraud. On international sales we can
complete the transaction one of two ways. The first is I total up the
invoice to include all parts and the shipping. Then you send us a money
order or cashier's check for the total amount. I can then send the
parts
to whatever address you want me to. We can not and will not give out
any
bank account information so we will not use a wire transfer method for
payment.
The second option only works if you have a friend in the United
States.
If so then I can bill out and ship the parts to your friend in the US
and he then pays for the shipping from his house to you. You would then
have to reimburse him for the parts and shipping.
We use UPS ground or expedited service since we can insure and track
the package if needed. For Canada the brokerage fees are included in
the
Worldwide expedited or Worldwide Express service but are not included
in
the ground service.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kirk... I don't live in Canada but have ordered from Sunset many times. I'd trust them enough to pay cash if that is what they want. It looks like you have an option of having a friend buy the parts and then ship them to you... How much is that substanital pile of parts going to cost? Do you know someone in the US who could purchase and then ship the parts to you?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:02 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am from the US but presently reside in Toronto. I have lived and worked here on and off for many years. I also export and import a lot across the border. First, I've used UPS for personal goods sent to me from the US and it was always a nightmare with them. Fed ex does a better job. Second, Customs will stop the shipment and you or your carrier will have to pay , I believe, GST on the value of the parts if they can be bought in Canada. I would recommend having the goods sent to someone in the states and picking them up with a low risk that you will have to declare them. In any case, the cost of Porsche parts is much less in the States than Canada in most cases.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Hi, I am from the US but presently reside in Toronto. I have lived and worked here on and off for many years. I also export and import a lot across the border. First, I've used UPS for personal goods sent to me from the US and it was always a nightmare with them. Fed ex does a better job. Second, Customs will stop the shipment and you or your carrier will have to pay , I believe, GST on the value of the parts if they can be bought in Canada. I would recommend having the goods sent to someone in the states and picking them up with a low risk that you will have to declare them. In any case, the cost of Porsche parts is much less in the States than Canada in most cases.

Don
Toronto
90 C4, guards Red
95 993 cab
95 SL 500
914/6
Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not familiar with the North Dakota / Minnesota geography but if there is a town near the border that is big enough to have a UPS Store, it might be worth an hours drive to go and pickup your parts in the US. I have done that several times across the Ontario/New York border. The UPS Store seems to handle almost anything as a buddy of mine even had 4 wheels & tires delivered there.
This doesn't really help with the payment issues but you will save brokerage fees which are a real rip-off.

Last edited by John52; 11-03-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Kirk,

I am a canadian living in the states and have actually done a few business transactions to canada with the company I work for. They items I sent up did don't arrive with out problems.(The again they where going to Vancouver from Seattle) but I have had repeat business from them a few times. As far as the border thing. See if the city across the border from Emerson can recieve ups. thats pretty close to Winnipeg (I think like what only an hour if that) but try that and see what happens. Good luck

Brandon

Quick Reply: Anyone used Sunset Imports to Canada?