Sponsored by:

Are my tweeters crumbling???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are my tweeters crumbling???

I started to remove the metal grill over my door tweeters (slowly upgrading speakers), when suddely they seemed to just crumble, as though the tweeter was tearing away from the door with the metal speaker grill. The other speaker grills have just popped off the speakers. What am I missing or doing wrong with the tweeters?

Also, to what have you upgraded your door speakers and been able to use the stock speaker grills?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:07 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the covers unscrew or at least mine did.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Bates
Racer

The whole grill twists?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:13 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mine did and I think they were factory. Just unscrewed from the door
Old 11-01-2005, 12:06 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

no they pull off like you're doing. however mine were cracked and in pieces also.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:16 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my front speakers with MB quarts- the tweeters are behind the stock tweeter cover, and the larger speaker fits in the stock speaker hole. The MB quart speaker grills have a spot where you can place the MB quart logo sticker- I have left these off to retain the stock look. Some people put larger speakers in that sound much better, but for me I was more concerned with avoiding drilling (i.e. keeping stock sized speakers), and using a tweeter behing the stock tweeter covers. Most of the music comes from the back of the car anyway (not the back speakers, but the engine ) Anyway, this is what I did and was able to retain the stock look of the car. The original speakers were crumbling- not sure if the tweeters were but definitely the larger speaker- the paper was basically ripped...

-Andrew
Old 11-01-2005, 01:22 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock tweeter grills unscrewed, the woofer grills snapped off. The threaded ring behind the tweeter cracks very easily, that's probably what's falling apart. Try unscrewing the cover, counterclockwise as you'd expect.

The stock tweeters are cone drivers. Most replacements are domes, so they stick out farther - if you want to use the stock grills you might need to fabricate a little mount that recesses the driver back in the door a bit. I used Infinity component speakers but if I were doing it over, I might just go with coaxials in the woofer location, with aimable tweeters to point toward the driver, and leave the stock tweeters alone and disconnected (but I use the sound system strictly for weather and traffic.)
Old 11-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A bit OT, but for the purists out there, you can put new surrounds on the stock woofers since the factory drivers tend to have their surrounds completely disintegrate from age. There are several companies out there that sell new foam surrounds for our stock drivers.

Jay
90 964
Old 11-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Bates
Racer

Yes, the tweeter covers/screens do unscrew-counter-clockwise...JimQ and DarrylH, you were right. Thanks for the help!

FYI-Jay H, I found stock replacements at California Dismantlers...but the stock sound quality is just so poor. I just can't help myself.

Quick Reply: Are my tweeters crumbling???