Sponsored by:

INSURANCE ( U.K. ) long !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
tafkai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INSURANCE ( U.K. ) long !!!

ok , heres my story ..............

ME : 36 year old male , house with garage in north manchester , employed , 2+ cars , zero no claims bonus , clean licence by law , but for insurance purposes i got 2 in10 convictions just over 4 years ago , and got a total of 14 points .

CAR : 1993 carrera2 cabrio , cat1 alarm , tracker , lowering springs , 18" speedlines , rear spoiler , front splitter , twin-exit exhaust , uprated brakes . social use only . kept at home in garage .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tried using www.confused.com , after seeing it on tv .
none of there companies would offer a quote due to the mods to the car .

after reading an earlier thread i contacted lancaster insurance .
due to the " computor not giving a quote " we arranged that the lady would contact underwriters and phone me with a quote . ( she said mods wouldnt be a problem as everything apart from front splitter , exhaust , and springs are porsche parts i didnt have to declare them .)

in the meantime i decided to call herts , who insure my gti , and until a month or so ago my rover p5b .
£1750.++

went back to earlier rennlist thread , and somebody mentioned elephant , then norwich union beating there quote .

elephant wouldn't quote due to mods and / or convictions .

so then i tried norwich ................. filled in all details until it came to convictions . it will only let you list 1 conviction and in10 isnt in the list !!!
you have to call there help-desk for a quote .
time is running out for this so i decided to fill in the online form listing 1 conviction in dec. 2000 for no licence . i did this just to get and idea of what they would quote ............
GBP1202.00 which
includes your online discount .

by this time lancaster still not has called back , so i rang them . ( i hate bad customer service) they told me they couldn't actually insure me because of the mods !!!!!!
AND THIS IS THE COMPANY THAT SAID CHANGING STANDARD PORSCHE WHEELS , SPOILERS , BRAKES FOR DIFFERENT PORSCHE WHEELS , BRAKES , SPOILERS WASN'T REALLY A MOD !!!!!!!!

next i contacted brentacre ( who nearly insured my golf a while back )
after getting into an argument with the stupid bint that insisted her computor was right and that porsche only made a carrrera 4 coupe in manual , and that my car is in fact a carrera 2 auto , they then told me they didnt insure porsches as the value was too much !!!

so , as i said earlier time is running out as i fly back to uk thursday night to pick my car up from 9meister on friday . i need a cover-note waiting for me behind the door so i can tax the car before leaving 9m .

got back in touch with herts to discuss instalments , the guy who answered was TOO helpfull !!!! he searched back thrpough my records and there was a bonus that could be transfered from my old rover policy .
also , when he went into details about the policy there was a number of things which made it much , much , much better than the norwich quote .....

FREE TRACKDAY COVER !!! obviously n.u didnt offer this
FREE EURO COVER !!! 60 days at a time , but n.u offerd zero
EXCESS OF £250 . n.u was about £760.00
WINDSCREEN COVER , 50 EXCESS . n.u offered zero
AGREED VALUATION OF £25,000.000 . guess what n.u offered ??

THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THE POLICY IS I'M LIMITED TO 6,000 MILES A YEAR !!! LIKE I'M GONNA DO THIS IN A CAR I ONLY GET TO SEE 2 DAYS A MONTH , AND HIBERNATES OVER WINTER !! ( though it can be upped if i do reach 6k )

HOW MUCH WITH MY NEW-FOUND BONUS ?????????????????
£ 1187.25

more than i'd like to pay , but still a good result .
plus , next year when i renew i'll have an "insurance clean " licence , and another years bonus (hopefully)
Old 10-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian

I think each company like Lancaster have to go by the policies available as they are a broker. For example, I have a classic policy with Lancaster and have declared non-porsche exhaust (that was when I had the GHL) and the non-porsche wheels and they insured me last year for around £625 for 6k miles. Maybe because you have a 993 then you don't qualify for the same rules as I do as my car is over 15 years old etc...? My renewal thsi year is around £690 or so I think so I think your IN10's are pulling you up quite a bit, but with regards to the mods, perhaps it differs from person to person or from car to car depending on who the underwriter is (i.e. which policies are available to Lancaster)?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:53 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Maybe because you have a 993
I know you've had a bad morning - but I think he said it was a 1993 car, not a 993...........
Old 10-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Christer
Race Car

oh yeah....but its still a 'young' car.... In that case I can only think the IN10's mean that you don't get offered the same policies as us law-abiding citizens do....after all Lancaster only pass your detaisl out and get whatever the underwriters offer.....I think you will be alot happier next year Ian!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:55 PM
tafkai

Originally Posted by Christer
I can only think the IN10's mean that you don't get offered the same policies as us law-abiding citizens do

after being quoted £2800.00 last year , i was expecting to pay about 2000 this year as i thought my licence was now clean !!!
got my hopes up a bit after reading what some of you old guys on here get your insurance for .
still , i dont think £1187 is bad for a young guy with a young car
Old 10-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Christer
Race Car

old....? I am 34 you cheeky old man!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:48 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Leave him alone - I've just discovered I'm young!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:00 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried A Manning? They are PCGB 'official' insurance co and did an excellent deal for my GT3 buddy. Tel 01491 578759; they were 50% cheaper than the next cheapest quote he had; they are also Porsche fans, so know the cars.

Mine expores on 16th November and I'll be calling them; I'm currently with Liverpool Victoria who have been excellent (ie cheap) for the last few years.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Christer
Race Car

Rob

Mine expires in November so I will be trying A Manning as well - unless of course the car and I still do not agree on when to stall/start. If that is the case I am going to turn it into 1.2 million 6 inch nails and build a log cabin (with an oil leak).
Old 10-28-2005, 01:28 PM
tafkai

had a quick read of the policy this morning .
2k excess on trackday cover , or if you have trackday experience goes down to 1k .
excess on policy 150 , but an extra 100 for my mods .
not sure how much trackday insurance is , as i never thought about going on a track in it , but if this company are going to give me 25k if i smash my car up on a trackday ..................

christer , if my 12 year old car is "young" , then i must be too !!!
but old age is catching up with me .......... cant tax it as i forgot to ask for the new mot cert. when i was leaving 9m today .
Old 10-28-2005, 08:41 PM
69COU
Racer

Try Carole Nash ltd mileage plans I pay about £760 ok i am 36!!!!!

Cheers
( Only one speeding conv. though)
Old 10-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RH Insurance for me - £689 for the Turbo 3.6 (i'm 32) on a limited mileage policy. Policy include non-competitive events

Quick Reply: INSURANCE ( U.K. ) long !!!