Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Clay treatment - opinions?
Never used it
36.47%
Used it once, and never again
7.06%
Always use it
48.24%
What's a clay bar?
8.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Clay bar treatment - poll

Old 10-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of before...
Old 10-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christer
Does anyone know whether a clay bar will help with the pink discolouring that I have found on my car in the last few months?
Christer,

I think the short answer is probably - No. The loss of pigment in Guards Red is due to the oxidation of the paint layer (there is no clear coat on Guards Red) and the only way to restore it is to remove the top layer of paint. There are a variety of rubbing compounds on the market - T-Cut is probably the most common. They are all quite abrasive so care is needed but the results can be pretty good as long as you are careful.

The clay bar will only remove surface contaminants - not paint.

Regards

Dave
Old 10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Christer
Race Car

Thanking you...
Old 10-27-2005, 05:42 AM
a964man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graham, I've used the Zymol clay bar with mixed results, yes it does do a good job of cleaning the paint but on my black car it seems to pick up the dirt then leave loads of swirl marks no matter how much I keep turning the clay bar, and I keep it well lubricated, I must be doing something wrong i guess.

Cheers Andrew
Old 10-27-2005, 06:11 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know whether a clay bar will help with the pink discolouring that I have found on my car in the last few months?
Like Dave says, the only way to bring it back is to apply an abrasive compound. There are companies that 'mop' cars using products like Farecla/Autoglym on machine buffers to take off the very top layer of paint, then they apply loads of wax and buff it again. The results are usually quite something. Red paint contains a pigment which does not react well to sunlight, and as such, it fades faster than almost all other car paint colours. You need to apply good wax every 6 months or so to protect the paint against the UV rays.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:20 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by a964man
Graham, I've used the Zymol clay bar with mixed results, yes it does do a good job of cleaning the paint but on my black car it seems to pick up the dirt then leave loads of swirl marks no matter how much I keep turning the clay bar, and I keep it well lubricated, I must be doing something wrong i guess.
Cheers Andrew
Andrew, what did you wash the car with before you started claying? I use fairy liquid to completely remove everything. You most likely did similar or used zymol's equivolent which would have removed all the wax that's been applied to your paint over the years. When i did this i noticed more swirl marks than usual appeared. But after a good claying and waxing (Zaino in my case) it looked better than ever before.

To anyone considering using a claybar - your car must be very well cleaned before you start using it, or the action of using the clay could push any remaining grit into the paint and cause scratches.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Christer,

Oh the joy of Guards Red!!
Mine suffers from this and the best ways I deal with it are :-
1. Use Autoglym Paint restorer (cut the top layer back) then polish. This has the 'longest' lasting effect of keeping the paint red.
2. Use the cheap Halfords Zymol polish, this brings the red back but doesn't last as long.
Neither last too long and I have found the fading is worst when you get rain and sun. I assume the water droplets magnify the UV.
I found the Halfords Zymol brings the red back with the minimum amount of work. Just a gentle application of the polish seems to restore the colour, easier than other brands.

I'ld be very interested in what others have found and how they deal with it.

Richard
Old 10-27-2005, 07:13 AM
a964man
Instructor

Greg_L, I used fairy liquid as you said, but I thought that the clay bar was for removing all the dirt, insects, road grime, and stuff.

so whats good for swirl removal on black paint work

cheers Andrew
Old 10-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Claybar's are really for the harder to see dirt 'specs', the minute stuck on sap droplets, and the tiny tar spots that appear all over and are hard to see on black paint. If you get the insect residue and everything else off first with the fairy liquid and a cleaning mitt/sponge, the claybar won't get so clogged up with krud and will work better. Thats what i found anyway.

As for anti-swirl i can't remember if the Zymol (titanium starter) kit i have, had an anti swirl wax or not. But i use a Zaino product now called "Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches". After the fairy liquid, then claying, i applied 4 coats of this stuff, with a dab of gloss enhancer spray and a buff in between each coat, then 3 coats of the "Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes". Afterwards i had a very sore arm, but the results were great

I took this photo as soon as i'd finished : http://www.carmovies.net/gallery/964/911_Zaino_6
Old 10-27-2005, 08:34 AM
a964man
Instructor

Greg_L, Thanks for the info

Cheers Andrew
Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Christer
Race Car

But what I want to know is why has my front left wing suddenly oxidised over a very short period? The resof the car is not affected....? Bu thanks for the suggestions, I will use an HD cleanse first before I try a more abrasive product...
Old 10-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But what I want to know is why has my front left wing suddenly oxidised over a very short period? The resof the car is not affected....? Bu thanks for the suggestions, I will use an HD cleanse first before I try a more abrasive product...
Resprayed at some stage?
Old 10-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richard H
Resprayed at some stage?
yeah, perhaps the whole car except the nearside wing was resprayed!
Or perhaps you park it under something whereby only the wing see's the sun each day ?
Old 10-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by a964man
Greg_L, Thanks for the info

Cheers Andrew
no probs, better luck with the clay next time.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:04 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Christer,

What parts did GR spray????

kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clay bar treatment - poll