Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!New to me Cab in the House! (OK,OK, I added photos)

Old 10-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!New to me Cab in the House! (OK,OK, I added photos)

O.K. the car did not come with a owner's manual, but I am trying to acquire one for the 1991 C2 cab. In the mean time:

Can anyone assist me in obtaining the instructions on how to open and close
my cab top? I opened it, and closed it after 30 minutes of trying yesterday. I don't know what I did. I can't repeat it!!!
I don't know if it's me or is it not functions properly(my first cab). I would also
like to know what this( arrow pointing to cab top means) warning light in the
dash means?

Thanks,

Last edited by Ms Kita; 10-26-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To open or close the top the key must be in the on position but the car must not be running. I believe some years require the parking brake to be set as well (my 90 does not). The light on the dash means the top is not all the way up or all the way down. Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

my 91 needs the parking brake up at least a couple clicks. Where are the pictures
Old 10-23-2005, 10:54 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 92 does not require the brake set, but does require the key to the almost-engine start position. The button for my top operation is under the dash ledge, left side of the steering wheel. The rocker points forward/backward; the other rocker that points left/right is the selector switch for the power mirrors if you have them.

I've been unzipping the window and leaving it that way with the top down, so I don't crease the window. I've seen "window pillows" that you can put in there to eliminate creasing also, if you're so inclined.

And yes- where are the pictures?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:43 PM
tafkai

what are window pillows ???
Old 10-23-2005, 09:28 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Window pillows are small round pillows about a metre long, kind of like what you might put up agains the door to stopo drafts. When I had my 944S2 cab I got one from either Tweeks or Performance Products. IIRC they are under $20.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

Saved and Thank You Gents. The cab open and closes just as instructed. I really appreciate the help.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

frankly, I don't think anyone should help until after we see pics!!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

Be Nice Kahdmus!!!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:52 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

All I will add here is to be super careful if it appears to not be going up properly... STOP
Oh, and yeah photos are appreciated!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ms Kita
Be Nice Kahdmus!!!!!
I refuse to play nice or join in with the other children and I am going to sulk until I see pictures!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I'll add this- watch it carefully going up and down...do not let the button go unless there is a problem- letting it go mid-way through the movement can mess up the settings, but if one end is going and the other isn't, you of course don't want to rip the top. There are only a few times I have not held the button from start to finish- twice when going up because one of the the top latches by the windshield didn't hook (just backed it up a little above the windshield and let it back down- both times the sticking latch then worked), and once when putting the top down. The top went all the way down and pinched the boot cover- I moved the top up a little to get the boot out and then put it back down. The next time I went to put it up...problems. Then needed a new cable and adjustment.

This is not a modern or simple power top system. I would recommend limiting the up and down movement- i.e. if you're going to be driving the car on the weekend, or over the course of a couple of weeks in nice weather and have a garage, put the top down and leave it down. Not the type of top you want to put down to go to the store to get milk, put up when you get to the store, put it down to drive home, then up when you get home....you get my drift...

Also, only operate the top when the car is on a flat surface...don't remember where I heard this suggestion, but easy enough to follow. For example. when I'm at my family's beach house I park the car on a hill on the side of the lawn- I don't put the top up or down when the car is parked like that.

The spoiler light on the dash will stay on until the car goes something like 4 mph...it's just checking the speed sensor or something like that- it's normal. If it were to come on when driving, it means a malfunction- the spoiler should go up once the car hits 50mph and stay up until the car is moving at 5mph or so or less.

Anyway, welcome to 964 cabriolet ownership- you'll love the car! Very solidly built, pretty much zero cowl shake, and just an awesome car! One of the only things I don't like about it is the complex top (the complexity combined with the age of these cars, you have to be careful). I'd rather have a simple manual top, but I'm a stock freak- like to keep everything set up and working like the car was when it left the factory

By the way, I just noticed you have a 993 cab- same thing applies to that car (similar cab top design if I recall)
Old 10-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very informative, thanks you, thank you all for your input.
My 993 is a coupe C4. Very sweet car! I purchased the 964 on a whim. It's customized, and I don't know if I should call it a 964 or a 964.993. It 's the type of car that ignites the senses of the purest and stimulates the emotions mods fans. Any way it's on it way to becoming supercharged by a very good mechanic. And I want to have some fun with it.

http://www.xtrememotorcars.com/ccr/xtreme_ccr.html

And I got a manual today from my mechanic !

Last edited by Ms Kita; 10-26-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:39 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Strosek? Nice!!!!!! very unique approach to a 964 Cab. Love the color, love the body mods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!!New to me Cab in the House! (OK,OK, I added photos)