shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
What I have found is that as the stock shocks get old they simply get HARD.
"Hard" is what I meant my "impact harshness". The shocks are not harder. Rather they are very soft for the first fraction of a millimeter or two, and that jolts you. If the shock was controlling the first bit of travel, the tires would do their job and take the very early stage of an impact. With worn shocks, the shock is transmitted to the body of the car, and you sense "impact harshness".

Your shocks did not get hard. They actually got just a little soft, but you felt the impacts just as if the suspension was harder.

Does this clarify what is really happening?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:25 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone got a REALLY good source for shocks? Maybe a group buy?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 AM
964fin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello from Finland!

I just joined the forum and thought I'd start posting right away...
I have had my '92 C4 for a couple of months now. Although its got a full service history with a major service completed a week before I bought the car and its in reasonably good shape for its age and mileage 173kkm's (roughly 110kmiles) I've had to sort out quite a few nicks and nacks already...

After I have all "must" things corrected I'll also do something on my suspension. It looks, like many of the standard 964's, like its ready to take off with the nose up high

Anyway, I haven't used this shop but after quite extensive searching the following company looks to have very reasonable pricing. Complete sets are around $1.000 and they carry both Bilstein and Koni shocks and H&R and Eibach springs. Anybody have any experience of this company?

http://www.shox.com/
Old 10-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi 964fin, welcome to rennlist

I've never heard of shox.com before, but the prices are the best i've seen. I'd also be keen to know if anyone else has used them. They seem very cheap.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Christer
Race Car

They have come up before but I don't know anyone or heard from anyone who has used them...from memory...
Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shox.com is RD Enterprises. You can see their black rectangular ad in most car magazines.

I have used them entensively and have always been happy with their service and prices. Of course, I have no affiliation, just a happy customer.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:57 PM
9-kevin-11
Instructor

Hi 964fin... and welcome to the board! Do you have any pictures of your car that you can post?

Old 10-27-2005, 10:20 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Default Watch out below

Originally Posted by cobalt
It's like skiing. Some people like to bomb down the hill others traverse. The lazy ones stop every 50 feet or so. It's all up to you. But like anything addictive you have to know whats best for yourself. IMO suspension work should be the starting point. Making your car faster without improving handling or braking is a waste of time and money. Start slow and figure out what works for your needs.

So I'm on the first 10 feet of the downward spiral. I'm getting the Turbo H&R springs, but Ronnie said his stock struts bottomed out. I have 75K on the car, and guessing original struts/shocks, so here I go.

I'm looking at 101 projects for your 911, but he says to replace the struts with like oem stuff- if it had Boge, reinstall Boge. Any thoughts? Will the new struts have the whole contraption, strut sleeve and insert?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:33 AM
964fin
AutoX

A few, not so good, pictures can be found here:
http://public.fotki.com/Audifin/

They are from my first trip to have a look at the car. I haven't had time to take any proper pictures yet. The Cup-1's have been replaced by Cup-2's for summer tyres and 16" Cup-1's for winter tyres.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
So I'm on the first 10 feet of the downward spiral. I'm getting the Turbo H&R springs, but Ronnie said his stock struts bottomed out. I have 75K on the car, and guessing original struts/shocks, so here I go.

I'm looking at 101 projects for your 911, but he says to replace the struts with like oem stuff- if it had Boge, reinstall Boge. Any thoughts? Will the new struts have the whole contraption, strut sleeve and insert?
Hawk, i have a set of H&R Turbo springs sitting in a box in my garage waiting for some meaty dampers to fit with them. I went for the turbo's as i am planning a pretty hard setup that would be suited to the track. The turbo is a heavier car and hence the spring rates are different(harder). I'm sure the standard dampers are going to fit, but they have been valved for standard springs - and will work optimally with them. So as you have the harder than standard H&R turbo springs, i think you should go for Bilstein HD's or Koni Sports and expect a firm ride.

The other thing to consider is that the boge dampers are of a length to hold the standard spring. Your H&R springs will be shorter, and that means that if assembled, the damper won't be extending fully and the spring wont be compressed fully - therefore none of it will be working fully! I have broken (old, existing) dampers on other cars by putting lower springs on.
I'm not certain of the height differences of the components, so i can't say the above paragraph is completely accurate - perhaps someone else will chime in ?

Lastly, from what i can gather, the Bilstein strut kit comprises of 4 complete struts. The koni adjustable kit comprises of front inserts and complete strut rears. If you're doing the job yourself, remember that the front brake lines may disintergrate when you take the struts out. Search for what warm_fuzzies had to say as he did his suspension himself this year.

Last edited by Greg_L; 10-28-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: shocks