Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clock Repair/Airbag Light DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No but they are pretty obvious. Its the three that are right together in a row in the center near the bottom of the board
Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

thanks found it at p-car.com
Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 AM
nhdoc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who would like to see the original post with photos:

http://p-car.com/diy/clockrepair/

I also got the airbag/seatbelt lights on yesterday so I have resoldered all of the pins and now need to clear the code to test. Thanks very much to the original author of the DIY! I used solder wick (instead of a solder sucker) to remove as much of the old solder as possible and resoldered the pins using fresh stuff. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM
lverheul
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for this tip. After soldering away for an evening, eventually it only solved the warning light issue. It didn't fix the clock itself . Any advice?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:36 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i could not remove the small ground connector - i was using pliers and was giving it some muscle, but didn't want to break the pins or the wire. any tips on how to get the connectors off?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:47 PM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Hi

I followed the instruction posted by David Ream, and re-soldered all the solder joints on the clock.
I was hoping that I was on easy street, but after one mile or so, the light returned.

Any suggestions?

Don
Old 06-21-2016, 08:52 PM
DIS
Rennlist Member

HI
A quick reply to XCOLDRICEX
Both clock connectors, the big one (white) and the ground one (black) have a latch that needs to be squeezed or compressed.
Use needs nose pliers to unlatch the latches.
I just completed the task, to no avail, and notices your post.
Don
Old 06-21-2016, 10:00 PM
simonstorey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DIS
Hi

I followed the instruction posted by David Ream, and re-soldered all the solder joints on the clock.
I was hoping that I was on easy street, but after one mile or so, the light returned.

Any suggestions?

Don
YES!
Same thing happened to me. Re-soldered clock - lights cleared with a hammer - then lights go on again.
Don't forget the lights will only go off when you clear them.

To fix the problem my mechanic switched the airbag sensors. They are both in the frunk (left and right).
Don't forget to disconnect the battery first. The sensors are held on with tamper proof screws - but with a long extension and the right size socket they can be removed.
The right side sensor is located under a washer fluid reservoir and after 25 years of spilled fluids was corroded. The sensor itself was OK, but the ground was probably making intermittent contact.
I feel that cleaning the contact would have solved the issue without swapping the sensors, however a hammer will tell you which side sensor is not working (I think) so swapping them is a way of tracing the problem (I think). It's been a while...

Anyway hope that helps. It worked for me.

Last edited by simonstorey; 06-22-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:58 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Simonstorey offers, disconnect and clean the air bag sensor connection in the frunk before doing anything else.

I had the same problem with the airbag/seat belt lights coming on every time the car sat out in hot weather. I would keep resetting the light with the T-OBD cable and software and eventually the lights would stay off for a few months but eventually come back on. Finally I got tired of that and bought a new (used) clock and the lights still came on. So, I finally cleaned the air bag connector a couple of years ago and the lights have never come back. Ironically it was very easy to do following some threads on RL compared to resoldering the clock.

Here is the thread I followed:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...with-pics.html

Last edited by carlskisWP; 06-21-2016 at 11:02 PM. Reason: add link
Old 10-30-2016, 09:34 AM
kosarn
Intermediate

Is there any way to measure this clock issue with a multimeter from the connectors without unsoldering and opening the clock?
Old 10-30-2016, 03:21 PM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Default air bag lights

Hi

I suggest you clean the contacts from the two sensors first. I did the clock resolver, and it did not fix it, but after the connector cleaning, the fix has worked now for a year or so, without reappearing.
DIS
Old 10-31-2016, 03:59 PM
kosarn
Intermediate

Checked the contact in both sides, clean as new. With durametric I get the following fault codes. When clearing the codes the airbag light goes off for a half second and lights up again. Haven't found what the codes stand for. Anybody have ideas what they are?

Old 10-31-2016, 04:05 PM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Default Air bag lights

Hi

I do not know what those codes are, but I suggest that you clean the contacts with alcohol and some other contact cleaner. I used WD40, but was told that is bad. I just used a Q tip to clean the contacts and lube them.
Be sure you clean both connectors which are in the "trunk" under the carpeting, on each fender well. They are not easy to get to.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:09 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Do the lights just pull out? I don't have airbags anymore nor factory seats so don't want the lights on anymore. Further, they would go on after a reset anyway...
Old 03-25-2017, 02:35 AM
kosarn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kosarn
Checked the contact in both sides, clean as new. With durametric I get the following fault codes. When clearing the codes the airbag light goes off for a half second and lights up again. Haven't found what the codes stand for. Anybody have ideas what they are?

Problem to this was found. The isolation on the cable between controller and passenger airbag was damaged. Cable fixed and it was possible to clear the codes. Life is good!

Quick Reply: Clock Repair/Airbag Light DIY