Sponsored by:

964 mods -- which would you do?

Old 08-07-2001, 05:26 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 964 mods -- which would you do?

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on 964 modifications -- be they for performance or not.

What mods have you done to your car? Are you happy with the results?
What mods do you want to do in the future?

Since I'm starting this thread, it's only fair that I go first:

Mods I've done to my car:
=========================
H & R Lowering Springs
17" Boxster wheels
Rod Birch subwoofer system

Am I happy with the results:
============================
Hey, I'm ecstatic with each mod I've done! Each was well worth the money.

Mods I'm considering:
=====================
Upgrading the 2 piston rear brake calipers to 4 piston ones.

Looking forward to hearing about your modifications and ideas.

-- Melissa
Old 08-07-2001, 05:58 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Thumbs up

Melissa,

Your cool, that is all there is to it.

Old 08-07-2001, 06:30 PM
Michael W
Advanced

Hi Melissa,
The latest Excellence has a front page article on a supercharged '95 993. With a heavier C4, that extra 50+ hp sure sounds good. I want to do SOMETHING to be able to keep up with my roomy's 993 Carrera. Passing California emission might be a problem, but then again I know people with Autothority Mass Flow sensor setup and pass California smog anyways.

Recently I bought a set of 17" 993 Targa wheels for the ride. What a difference it made from the Design 90s.

Next: Frozen Rotors (still considering...)

By the way finally I am taking my car in tomorrow for the H&R and Bilstein upgrade. Keep you posted.

Mike
Old 08-07-2001, 06:55 PM
Michael W
Advanced

Can't seem to leave this threa alone....

Next:
White face gauges, it will go great with the linen(white)interior.

Mike
Old 08-07-2001, 07:02 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Michael B --

Why thank you very much! If you think I'm cool, than I must be!!

Michael W --

Definitely let me know how you like the Bilsteins & springs.

OK, I've thought of more mods I'd like to do on my C2:

Bilsteins (Thanks for the reminder, Michael W!)
Roll bar (DAS sport?)
Exhaust (Fabspeed?)
While I'm dreaming, I think I'd like to do a Ruf upgrade to this car. Wouldn't that be something?!

-- Melissa
Old 08-07-2001, 07:12 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mellisa,
A good interesting thread, lets hope there are lots of replies.

Mods done before I bought the car :-
17" Cup Alloys - No experience of D90's but Cup 1 Alloys look good
Tear drop mirrors - Look good thats all!!
RS(?) 3 spoke Steering wheel - Feels and looks much better than original

Mods done since:-
Eibachs Lowering springs - Improved handling greatly (main reason), also looks like a proper sports car should now
High level Third Brake Light (roof spoiler) - An important saftey feature with the std brake lights being low on the 964, also looks good.

Considered the 4 piston rear caliper upgrade but the advice has been from 'definate improvement' to 'you will not notice any diference in normal street driving'. Jury out on this one at the moment.

In my opinion all the mods to my car have improved driveabilty/safety with the added bonus of improved looks.
What more can you ask for?

Richard 1990 Guards Red C2

Old 08-07-2001, 08:01 PM
John Miles
Pro

Once again from me.
Don't forget the holy airbox.
John
Old 08-07-2001, 08:27 PM
Tom Sharpes
Advanced

Hi Melissa!

I haven’t heard from you in awhile. Nice idea for a thread. Here are the changes I have done to my C2 since I liberated it from a dentist who drove it only for status.

For more info, I have included hyperlinks to the Tech areas that have these projects posted.

The first thing was to dump those goofy looking Type 90 wheels. I got a set of chromed twist Boxster wheels and mounted some Yoko 215/50’s & 255/45’s on it – much better !

Next I lowered the car with some M030 springs and a set of Dopke lowering perches this made a world of difference in the handling of the car. It came down 2 ¼” in the front and 2” in the rear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I replaced the primary muffler with a “cup pipe”. This really improved the performance of the engine and it gave it a deep throaty growl.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ler_bypass.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I drilled the airbox full of holes to allow the engine more air.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ox_upgrade.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a problem with the blower motor in the engine compartment. This is an article you may want to read because it WILL happen to you sooner or later. This can mean the difference between a lot of money and problems or getting it fixed easy and right.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ower_motor.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dumped the pop up wing for a 993 Turbo bridge wing. It changed the whole character of the car. Definitely a major improvement.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._rear_wing.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just for fun . . .

During the winter I got bored one rainy Sunday and decided to “spruce up” my jack. I have been told I got a little carried away. You be the judge.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...wacky_jack.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just finished changing out the gauge faces from the stock factory black to white faces. The new look is great and it was a pretty easy job – especially compared to the ones I did in my ’74.
http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/r...c&f=4&t=000207

I’m not sure what’s next. Maybe I’ll get some ideas from some of the other posts.

Tom Sharpes
90 C2 Targa http://members.rennlist.com/myc2
Old 08-07-2001, 08:45 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Tom,

You are amazing! I love the jack -- maybe I'll "hot-rod" my jack someday.

I have a question. Have you had your car smogged since you did the muffler bypass? If so, were there any problems or raised eyebrows? Do you live in a "rolling dyno" area, or is your smog check visual + tailpipe?

OK, sorry, that's more than one question.

-- Melissa

PS Oh yes, the "holy airbox" is another mod on my planned list.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:37 PM
Michael W
Advanced

Tom,
adding to Meilissa's question. How much of an performance improvement do you think the cup pipe provides?
And how much louder is it to stock?

thanks

Mike
Old 08-07-2001, 10:08 PM
Tom Sharpes
Advanced

Hi Melissa,

I haven't had to do a smog check yet because I just got the car last Oct., but I don't think it will be a problem because you can't see under the bottom cover to see if there even is a muffler. If asked I would just point out the one under the right rear fender and act stupid.

We do have the dynos down here and when I did my 74 I took it to my wrench, he leaned it waaaaay out and went to the place with me. Gee, wonder of woners - it PASSED !

I forgot to add that I also added a new stereo and speakers. I put in a JVC "El Kameleon". It's really cool - it is a flat black panel when the key is off, but when you turn on the ignition the buttons fold out and the whole face becomes a display. Oh yes, you gotta` have the toys !

To answer Michael's question. I didn't put it on a dyno to check the gains. My "BUTTDYNO" tells me there was a significant gain in the accelleration and smoothness of the engine. The bog that I had at 4K is pretty much gone with the airbox and bypass mods.

The sound is great ! It has a low throaty growl, but when you're just cruising along you barely hear it. It's real easy to live with. This is a MUST HAVE improvement.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:02 PM
Michael W
Advanced

Thanks Tom,
That bypass actually makes sense with the additional performance gain, I was reading the other day on another bulletin board that pretty much the only difference between a '95 993 (272 hp) and a 964 (250 hp) is better exhause (less restriction?) and mass flow sensor instead of barn door on the throttle body.
Now that we all have drilled holes in the air box and the added bypass pipe, perhaps now we have perfromance similar to a '95 993?
I Love to hear more expert opinions on this particular subject.

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-07-2001, 11:11 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeez Melissa, potential mods is the *last* thing I need to to have shoved in my face at this moment (even though I think about them all the time anyway!). I was so proud of myself for not giving in to temptation and spending $1,000 at the PCA swapmeet in Palo Alto on Sunday (bet you were there, which is why you thought of this post). Anyway, I often hear this voice in my head that says: "lower the car. You must lower the car. Your life will not be as enjoyable unless you lower the car."

Scary, isn't it?

Jon
Old 08-08-2001, 02:08 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Melissa (or anyone else)- Has the ride quality suffered since you switched to the H&R springs? Also, I assume you had to have an alignment afterwards, probably to RS specs?

Springs seem like a relatively inexpensive upgrade to improve handling.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:30 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Michael W:
<STRONG>I was reading the other day on another bulletin board that pretty much the only difference between a '95 993 (272 hp) and a 964 (250 hp) is better exhause (less restriction?) and mass flow sensor instead of barn door on the throttle body.
Now that we all have drilled holes in the air box and the added bypass pipe, perhaps now we have perfromance similar to a '95 993?
I Love to hear more expert opinions on this particular subject.

Thanks

Mike</STRONG>
I sure would love to hear a definitive, authoritative answer to the question, "Where does the '95 3.6L's new hp come from?" I have asked many respected, knowledgeable mechanics this question, and heard responses anywhere from "less than half" to "20 of the 25 hp" are due to the improved (dual) exhaust.

My personal guess is that no more than 15 hp is due to the improved exhaust. Mainly because B&B claims only 15-20 extra hp for a full, catalytic converter-less, header system on a 964. I figure the 20 hp figure is inflated, bringing me to the 15 hp number--at best. Also, people may remember Bruce Anderson's old article "Chips," where Bruce & friends managed to squeeze an extra 13 hp (at 6000 rpm) out of a 3.2L engine, using an SSI exhaust and twin-pipe sport muffler.

... Waiting for someone that helped design the 993 engine to publish the authoritative numbers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 mods -- which would you do?