Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil overfill...please advise

Old 08-01-2001, 07:05 PM
AR
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil overfill...please advise

Having been away from the air cooled cars...I read the dipstick cold and now overfilled the oil tank by about a quart....problems? solutions? Many thanks in advance
Old 08-01-2001, 08:24 PM
Tom Sharpes
Advanced

I take it you have run the car. If that's the case you need to drain that quart and a little extra immediately.

If you continue to run the car that way the oil will migrate into the air plenum and settle in the secondary tube. It will start to leak out of the buttfly seal and make a real mess for a long time on the top of your engine.

I had this happen to me and it took me months to figure out what was leaking and then a day at the Auto X to blow the remaining oil out of the secondary plenum.

Hope this helps !
Old 08-02-2001, 03:17 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a '91 Tip once at a non-Porsche store (these guys tend to like Jags, BMWs, and Mercedes). In any case, the salesman who picked the car up at a dealership auction was so proud of the fact that he got such a great looking car that he thought he would just "top off the oil...but was surprised to find it needed several quarts". So was I. We started the car, and once warmed up, oil was running all over the place.

I felt really sorry for the guy.

Drain the extra oil off NOW!

Good Luck,

Bill Wagner
Old 08-02-2001, 11:11 AM
anewbill
Instructor

I just over filled my new C2 by about 1/2 quart. Although I did not get any smoking or other adverse engine reaction, my mechanic said I should get the excess oil out to be safe. I used a suction gun to draw the oil straight out of the filler pipe. That way I did not have to worry about pulling the drain plug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil overfill...please advise