Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Heated mirrors (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/23005-heated-mirrors.html)

Iant 07-30-2001 03:42 PM

Heated mirrors

I have just bought a set of teardrop mirrors to replace my older flag mirrors on my 1990 C4. My question is will they swop easily (the wiring diagram on the new ones suggests they will, just 3 wires)? Secondly, are all mirrors heated? If my current mirrors are heated will i have a seperate switch or is the heating automatic when i start the car?
I guess what im asking is if im not aware that my current mirrors are heated or not, is there any chance they will be?

Adrian 07-31-2001 07:24 AM

Dear Ian,
Heated mirrors is an option. In fact each heated mirror is an option. Mine are not heated. If you only have three wires then I suggest you have the non heated ones.
The heated mirrors work I believe when another heating function is selected. I have heard that it is the rear window defogger but I have not had any time to research this subject. Various model years may also be different. In fact I bet they are. 1991 model year saw Porsche try to make some of the systems a little less complex. You will have to read my book for more though,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Roland Kunz 07-31-2001 02:58 PM

Hello

All electric operating mirrors are heatet. At least in germany. There are also no non heatet glasses on stock.

They will be activatet with the deffogerswitch.

The Mirrors from a 92 on will fit but you have to polish the paint as the base is different shape and the connectortype is changed to a other design.

The swapes I made where original Porsche parts. I know there are some aftermarked and I not know the 993 on internals. Some off the race cars have a manual mirror in the case but wires to heat them. I think this was the factory 964 RS setup.

Grüsse

Iant 07-31-2001 05:00 PM

Again thanks for your reply's, i have taken one of my mirrors off and it appears that they are heated!! I am now hoping that the replica ones i have bought are the same size so i can then buy some original glass with the heat elements on the back and have them heated again(not that i'll ever use the heated bit but u never know!)

Adrian 08-01-2001 05:01 AM

Okay Ian.
Confusion on your request. Heated Mirrors are options and here are the numbers. You should be able to find one of these numbers on the paperwork of the mirrors you have purchased,
258 Heating for outside mirror
261 Passenger side mirror electric plain
262 Outside mirror for passenger side, plain, manual
398 Left outside mirror - electric - plain
There are also a whole bunch more in the Exclusive Options because you can have self dimming installed and other goodies. For what purpose and why, please do not ask me,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: Just for info. I checked the manuals again and option 258 is not in the list of incorporated options as standard fit. It may well have been mandatory in Germany but I have no evidence in the Porsche documentation that I have which confirms this that I have found yet. I have two Porsches and neither have heated mirrors outside.

Iant 08-01-2001 01:43 PM

Heated Mirrors do not come up on my options, but the existing ones definatly are(they have elements behind the glass,and more to the point they get hot!) the teardrops i bought are replicas so no part numbers there. As i said before my car was sold new in Switzerland in 1990. :confused:

porsche964 08-01-2001 02:10 PM

Iant,

In case you were not aware, the recent Excellence magazine has an article about these mirrors. If you have not seen this let me know and I would be happy to scan a copy for you.

Bob

The 964 Registry