964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

California Models or Not?

Old 07-24-2001, 11:59 AM
Robert Coats
User

Post California Models or Not?

Were there seperate models of the 964 sold only in California?

If so, I would imagine the differences were emissions-related, but does anybody know specifically WHAT the differences are, and if they affected performance?
Old 07-24-2001, 11:23 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Robert,

The 964 was a "50-state" car. At least from the factory, that is . I imagine many a non-California 964 has lost its cat. in favor of an aftermarket exhaust system.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:47 AM
Jeff Curtis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robert, Randall is correct in saying that the 964 and 993 are "50 State legal" cars. I found this out during my two month search for a 964.

So there is no such thing as a "California Emissions" 964/993.
Old 07-25-2001, 05:48 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Robert,
The statements given below are not entirely accurate. As far as emissions are concerned they are 100% correct. However there was still a California only 964 in the early years of the 964 production. Heard about those On Board Computers and Check Engine Lights. Some people have them, others do not. Only 964s sold into the California dealerships had them installed in the early days. All is very complicated.
You need to check the labels. C02 is standard USA code. C03 is the California Code. Whether this code shows up on the 964s I do not know.
The 1989 models did not have this feature. 1990 models were wired up for it but it was only connected up and installed in California bound 1990 and 1991 models. Became pretty standard by 1992 in the USA only!!. It was still an option outside of California until 1996 when OBDII became a legal requirement. If you have been on the rennlist you would have been able to follow this investigation,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: We also have found people who finally admitted they installed this system themselves in 1990 versions even one tried a 1989 C4 but they could never get them to work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: