Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Questions About the '93 Model (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/22396-questions-about-the-93-model.html)

Robert Coats 07-24-2001 10:43 AM

Questions About the '93 Model

(1) Were all '93 built with the LUK flywheel?

(2) Did the '93s come with the distributor vent tube installed at the factory?

(3) Please look at this photo of a '93 and tell me if it has the vent kit installed (Warning: 488k image file)

Engine Photo

Richard H 07-24-2001 10:55 AM

Robert,
Not sure about the flywheel, would expect it depends on build date. Someone else will be able to give a correct answer.
As for the dist. vent I can not see it but it looks like an alarm siren(?) is in the way. You need to look or get a picture of the dist body below the caps. It should then be obvious as you will see a 1/4" (6mm)ish sized plastic pipe connected to a plastic insert. The clear pipe that can be seen should be connected to the rear light panel but I have heard of people connecting these to the dist. instead. Not very technical looking or neat and tidy.
Sorry not to be of much help!!

Richard. :confused:

Adrian 07-24-2001 10:57 AM

Dear Robert,
Answers to your questions
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Cannot tell properly. You need to photograph and base of the distributor so we can see it. The white pipe coming out of the big black pipe should lead to the distributor base. #2 base actually.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

SSchulze 07-24-2001 03:27 PM

Not all '93's are the same. I just had the dist. vent kit installed on my '93 C2 last week (Labor w/parts from Pelican about $60). Read in an earlier post that vent kit became standard 8/93, my car build date is 9/92 (See inside of drivers door for build date). Vent kit consists of a large diameter yellow/whitish hose that runs from the bottom of the distributor housing to the air intake tube, all of it should be visible to you. I have also read that 1993's and even some 1994's were installed with the non-Luk DMF, although they are rare. Apparently the factory would put in whatever flywheel was laying around, and it wasn't always a Luk.

Good Luck,
Scott

Pete911air 07-25-2001 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Robert Coats:
<STRONG>(1) Were all '93 built with the LUK flywheel?

(2) Did the '93s come with the distributor vent tube installed at the factory?

(3) Please look at this photo of a '93 and tell me if it has the vent kit installed (Warning: 488k image file)

Engine Photo</STRONG>
Robert,
You do not have the vent kit.With the vent kit installed you have two white plastic hoses on the air pipe.

Pete

Adrian 07-25-2001 05:38 AM

Dear Robert,
I have sent you privately a photo of the vent kit pipe. The second white line in this picture, closest the top of the photo is the vent kit line.
I have also checked the documentation all according to Porsche regardless of heresay the 1993 model of the 964 incorporated all of these mods.
Your photos clearly show that the vent kit is not installed as compared to the photo I will send you. This does notmean however that it did not come from the factory. It is quite possible that parts have been replaced on this 964. Before people jump up and down and say this that or the other it is useful to try and find out the history. Installing old parts at dealerships is a common problem to clear old stock. This applies to flywheels as well. It would not be the first time that somebody modified their 964 for whatever purpose, say installed the 993 air system and used it. Then they decided to sell it and just installed what they could get hold of. Happens all the time.
Now this does not get Porsche off the hook either. If you find your 1993 model is not up to spec I would certainly be writing a letter to the PCNA seeking an explanation. Remember though this is 8 years after the event.
The statement "apparently Porsche put on whatever they could find lying around the factory" cannot and has never been verified. To me it was a made up story to cover up people returning 964s to standard config for resale. This cannot be proven either but one day I will catch someone at it.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Adrian 07-25-2001 06:30 AM

Dear Robert,
A couple of facts for you straight out of the Porsche documentation which causes me to correct my original statement.
First on the Ignition Vent Kits,From August 13, 1993 production date, the ignition distributor received a ventilation system as of engine numbers:
62 R 00592 - Manual Transmission
62 R 50520 - Tiptronic
August 1993 means of course the 1994 model range not the 1993 model range.
The LUK flywheels were installed on all C2s according to the parts catalogue I have, for the model year 1993 but not the C4s. The C4s never received the LUKs in the factory. The LUK was approved as a retrofit to the C4 as well as the earlier C2s.
You can tell a LUK by the fact that the starter ring is welded on.
Sorry about my misfacts on the vent kit. However still understand that POs mods can still lead you to have the wrong stuff installed.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4