Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freon gone - most likely cause?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 09:57 PM
porsche964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Freon gone - most likely cause?

OK,

I know some of you 964 owners must have had this experience by now. All my freon has leaked from my A/C system. Are there any "typical" locations along the myriad of hoses where leaks occur?

I have a buddy w/ a shop and a leak detector but any experienced based suggestions would be appreciated!

Bob

The 964 Registry
Old 07-24-2001, 12:24 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes! There is a VERY typical location for the freon to leak out of your system...as I have just discovered on my own 964.

It is a total bitch to get to it...the evaporator. Yes, located below the fuel tank, to remove it you have to pull back the fuse panel, etc. What a pain in the butt!

A buddy of mine who owns a local independent Porsche facility says this is very common on the 964s because of the location of the evaporator...it basically rots out due to years of condensation buildup between the evaporator core and insulation, it is located fairly close to the ground and all kinds of grit gets in there too.

I don't remember specifically what he said he gets for the replacement...but it was VERY significant. He always puts a "sniffer" up through a vent hole to verify that's where the leak is after putting a pound or so of that oh so expensive R-12 in the system.

I will be documenting my evaporator changout w/digital pics, as usual...and will be more than happy to share then...for a small fee, of course...ha!

A friend in the area has an RS America w/AC that is having the same problem...probably will do his first...that way we can screw up his car before mine!
Old 07-24-2001, 07:11 AM
porsche964
Instructor

Angry

Oh boy, I can't wait to work on that!!
Old 07-24-2001, 07:20 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Matt before you have a heart attack make sure your mechanic checks everywhere. Jeff makes a good point but I have known of many other failure points including the receiver drier and along the pipes running front to rear. Start simple and work towards difficult and expensive. Just for info, my 1989 C4s evaporator still looks perfectly brand new. Just had it checked. Mine you my underside is fully sealed in. You cannot see anything unless you remove all the underside panels,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-24-2001, 07:32 AM
porsche964
Instructor

This is what I intended to do, actually, but good advice. First I am going to tighten every fitting I can find, then add freon and check for leaks.

Bob

The 964 Registry
Old 07-24-2001, 12:44 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Since 8.92 all Porsche came with R134a.

The usuall failure points are the bows in the lower A Pillar ( vibration cracks ). was fixed later with other lines and a other clamp.

Also the early cars had sometimes leaking junctions. Those things have strange one bolt flanges. You have to renew the seal.

Condensor blower regulation fails ( resistor )

Condensor gets to dirty and corrode over the years. Will lower performance.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: Freon gone - most likely cause?