Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Anyone dealt with vertex auto in Florida- great prices on rotors, other good places?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/22370-anyone-dealt-with-vertex-auto-in-florida-great-prices-on-rotors-other-good-places.html)

Michael W 07-20-2001 03:32 PM

Anyone dealt with vertex auto in Florida- great prices on rotors, other good places??

Hi,
I am shopping for a set of brake rotors for my '91 C4 and I came across vertexauto.com
The list price is $79.00 front and $80.00 rear each. They are good compared to Performance Products. But are these the best prices out there?
I have also talked to the sales person and they say these are factory OEM rotors either from Zimmerman or Sebro the part numbers are:
96435104102 (front)
95135204102 (rear, same as used on 944 turbo)
He said that Zimmerman and Sebro, along with Brembo OEM rotors to Porsche for the 964, is this true?
Can anyone verify if these are the part numbers to use on a '91 C4 and if the prices are the best out there?

thanks

Mike

Jay H 07-20-2001 04:09 PM

Mike:

I've purchased a lot of stuff from Vertex, but only items that aren't critical performance items (i.e. brake parts, engine parts, etc). I usually get filters, headlamps, trim pieces, etc from them and I have not had any problems so far. (Though, the last set of "OEM" belts I got from them were manufactured in Mexico and had some off brand label on them - the Porsche labeled belts were made in France I believe.)

But, I seem to remember some posts on the 993 board about people very displeased with rotors from Vertex. Even though Vertex buys from an OEM source, these aftermarket parts from these manufacturers may not have the same high tolerances as the parts Porsche buys from them. Zimmerman might make a lower quality rotor for the aftermarket vs. the rotor they supply to Porsche.

Since brake rotors are a pretty critical item on your car, my $.02 is to spend the extra cash on Porsche parts bought from a reputable Porsche dealer and skip Vertex for those items.

You always get what you pay for...

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964

MikeF 07-21-2001 01:21 PM

Well. . .almost always. https://www.pelicanparts.com/support/smileys/kwijl.gif

Randall G. 07-21-2001 02:32 PM

I also read the posts on the 993 board, where displeased people blasted the quality of the rotors they had bought from Vertex. Seems that most of these people used their car on the track, and the Vertex rotors weren't holding up to the added workout.

A quick search of the 993 Forum (search for "Vertex") will find this thread (initiated 6/1).

Bill Gregory 07-22-2001 12:20 PM

One thing you have to watch with Vertex is their shipping and handling fees, plus they have a 3% adder for credit card usage. On a recent order, the S&H plus credit card fee was 28% of the cost of parts I ordered. Don't know about their warranty coverage. They do have a wide selection of Bosch OEM parts, some of which Porsche is no longer carrying.

I like to use Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte. They discount 20%-30%, and charge UPS shipping rates. Service is top-notch. They'll fax you pages out of the Porsche electronic catalog to help with parts selection, and will even have people pull parts in the Atlanta warehouse if needed to answer questions on parts. Their prices on Porsche parts, with the 2 year Porsche warranty, are normally below Vertex's. If you order in Jan/Feb they throw in a free Porsche Parts wall calendar. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. Their number is 800-315-8193.

horst 07-22-2001 06:19 PM

I agree with above; Vertex prices ARE competitive. If you have patience, you can usually hit the Perofmance Products 20% off sales that they have about 2X per year. With that Perf Prod prices are alsocompetitive. Otherwise they are on the high side. Stoddard has been my choice for dealer only stuff.

Michael W 07-23-2001 03:52 PM

Hi all,
I just called Hendrick Porsche per Bill G's recommendation. They got better prices than Vertex at 75.00 each for front and back brake rotors. This is coming from a Porsche dealer no less.
I think I am going to give them the business.

Mike