Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   964 FAQ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/22302-964-faq.html)

Drew_K 07-13-2001 12:19 PM

964 FAQ?

Has anyone ever found a 964 FAQ? I know that a few people have excellent web sites with details about the 964, such as http://members.rennlist.com/complete964, but I have never seen a document which compiles the wealth of information about the '964. In particular, I think a lot of people would benefit from knowing about what to look for when purchasing a 964 as well as how it compares to the Carrera 3.2 and 993.

IF a 964 FAQ doesn't exist, I would like to write one. It would take me a while since I work a lot, but I think it would be fun and beneficial for a lot of people. However, I would really like some assistance from people on this board, mainly in the form of feedback as I write.

So my questions are:
1. Does a 964 FAQ already exist?
2. If not, any volunteers to help out? I'll do all the writing, but it would be nice if others could check for accuracy, readability, content, etc.

Tom Sharpes 07-13-2001 12:51 PM

Hi Drew,

I think this is a great idea. I was trying to get Adrian to do this exact same thing because he has a wealth of info in his brain but nothing on paper.

Adrian, how about a data dump to Drew to help him out ? I'll be glad to throw in my experiences and I have a ton of digital pix of various parts of the car from the radio to the suspension to the engine.

OK, who's ramrodding this ?

Riccardo 07-13-2001 02:12 PM

Excellent idea! You most definitely have my support and collaboration for this.

In fact I have already been doing something on these lines. I have scoured the old 911 board archives and copied and pasted some of the responses on the posts on a Word document.

So far I have compiled one document with buying tips and another one about modifications and enhancements. They add up to about 12 pages at the moment.

I am sending you these as we speak (via private email) hopefully they can be useful in some way.

If I can be of any other assistance let me know, will be delighted. After asking so much from this board it is time I give something back.

-------
I cannot send you an email, please let me know where to send it and I shall....

Drew_K 07-13-2001 03:04 PM

Riccardo, I've updated my profile to show my email address, so please send me any info you have. I'm going to start off with an outline of topics and subtopics, and then fill it in from there. I would like to set it up so that a 964 novice can quickly find information that he/she needs, but also have enough technical depth that it will also be a good reference document. If anyone has or knows of a FAQ with a suitable format (doesn't have to be Porsche related), please let me know.

Drew
92 C2

Harold 07-13-2001 08:23 PM

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the comment on my website!

Any way, would love to help out if possible- was actually going to write a buyers guide myself, but really have no time as I've just started a new job.

Let me know what you need and I'll do my best. On the technical side, Adrian or Gus would most definitely be the best guys- how about it fellas!

cheers

Harold
Complete 964

Bill Wagner 07-14-2001 03:47 AM

I was toying with the idea of creating a web site called "Troublshooting the 964". The manuals are really pretty poor. AllDate helps some, and if you use the two together you can "sort of" get a general feel for the types of problems a 964 experiences, but it STILL doesn't cover everything. As a result, I've been saving EVERY e-mail from Rennlist that's related to problems with the 964 as well as web posts from Rennlist and Pelican Parts(I cut and paste using X-windows under Linux....I don't use Windows as a primary OS because I like stability and reliability...just my preference!). These posts can easilly be converted to any format or OS. The reason I do this is because it gives me a source of information that I may be able to research in the future, should something go wrong with my own car.

In all honesty, I don't have the time to put up a web site, but that doesn't mean I couldn't help. A group effort could probably yield a decent resource for all of us!

I would be interested in editting/submitting these as needed to such a board. DON'T ASK ME to send you files...these are now probably on the order of hundreds of megabytes and my ISP has very clear limits on what I can transfer at a single time.

Good Luck,

Bill Wagner
'91 C4

porsche964 07-14-2001 09:21 PM

I would be happy to help organize this and post the information on my server on The 964 Registry is you all would like. Just let me know.

Bob
The 964 Registry

The 964 Registry

Jeff 07-15-2001 09:32 AM

Drew -- you area jewel! If you pull this off we all owe you a 6 pack. I'll help anyway I can. Good luck.

Adrian 07-16-2001 04:16 AM

Guys,
I have already applied to Porsche to use their data in writing a correct book on the subject 964. It may appear selfish but my data and what is in my head is mine. If I get the permissions I need to use Porsche copyrighted and trademarked stuff then I will start my book.
I am not going to shoot myself in the foot by sending the contents of my book to somebody else.
Drews idea is great and I wish him luck but at this time I have my own plans.
These things take time and money Tom and permission from Porsche to make everything legal,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Drew_K 07-16-2001 06:48 PM

Adrian,

Wow! I wish you luck and really hope you can finish a 964 book. I'm not planning anything nearly that ambitious. I simply want to create a relatively short reference document that covers topics that repeatedly come up for current as well as potential 964 owners, and perhaps I'll learn a little in the process.

At some future point, I'll post a preliminary version of the FAQ on this board for comments and feedback. Hopefully you'll have a chance to review it and offer any insight.

Bill-thanks for offering to help. I intend to email you and the others who have volunteered an outline of topics shortly. And I definitely do NOT want 100's of megabytes of information. I'm really going to try to keep things simple.

Drew
92 C2 Coupe

Gus B. 07-17-2001 12:42 AM

Hello all. I have about 3 to 4 MB of pdf files on miscellaneous stuff on the 964s. I have another same quantity of info on general stuff for Porsches. You are more than welcome to use it as reference. Most of it are threads that have been done in various sites, as well as some tech articles from Pelican. I do not want to infringe on any copyright material, but what can be used without problems, you are welcome to it. Let me know if you want me to email this to you in pieces.

Gus

Adrian 07-17-2001 03:37 AM

Dear Gus,
This is why I have applied to Porsche for permission to use their data. One has to be VERY careful with what data one puts out in the public arena especially when it comes to Porsche. Their lawyers are just sitting and waiting.
One problem with FAQs is they often do not credit the source of the material and this can cause some problems with the material originator as well.
I have seen a few sites Porsche start FAQs but then they suddenly stop.
An example would publicly showing TSBs. These are copyrighted material and needs permission. Showing the parts catalogue breakdowns, manual diagrams etc etc. This is why I decided the only way to go is to write a book with the permission of Porsche then I can make a whole story. For the sceptices I expect this book to cost me money (which I havenīt got) not make me money. Will have a very limited audience.
I also want to get Bosch onside because they have data I want and their new software for the Porsche is BRILLIANT,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Adrian 07-17-2001 03:45 AM

I have to strongly disagree with Jon. Despite his experience, publishing the TSBs deprives Alldata and Porsche of income. Alldata pay Porsche and they (alldata) sell them to us. Publishing this data on the web will deprive Alldata and Porsche of income.
So Drew back to your FAQ idea.
My concern is that when these people act ( I have first hand experience of this) they will shut you down first and ask questions later. We have already lost far too many excellent web sites and Porsche related activities to these Porsche lawyers on copyright and trademark issues. If they cannot get you on one, they get you on the other.
Now if you have a bucket load of money go for it.
I would not recommend this course of action though. I would drop a line to PCNA and PAG and ask for their guidelines and recommendations and see what happens. If they do not reply in a reasonable time frame then maybe some rewriting of things can overcome short term problems. A little research in the beginning is very important. You do not want to spend all this time setting this up and then get the plug pulled.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Bill Wagner 07-17-2001 03:57 AM

Drew:

If I were to help on a "troubleshooting the 964 section" I wouldn't want to send you hundreds of MBytes of info...like I said...not allowed by my ISP.

What I would do is search all the data I have and find definite, consistent, and verified (by at least several sources) descriptions of problems and solutions. Too often on the web someone describes a problem and gets responses from 20 different people with 20 different solutions....and often all of them are wrong. This isn't to say the post responses were wrong, I think it's just the nature of problems that really occur with cars...getting the REAL facts and solutions can sometime be difficult.

If I reduced my data, it would likely end up being nothing more than a text file anywhere from 10k-200K total. I assume it would grow over time.

Like I said, this is NOT a rush job or a top priority for me. I can only do this when time permits.

Let me know how you feel about this,

Bill Wagner

porsche964 07-17-2001 07:04 AM

The FAQ need only be comprised of 964 Owners providing commentary regarding what they have learned about their cars. There is no need to copy or paraphrase other materials, nor should we. There is no harm in writing about what you have learned and your own, personal knowledge. We don't need anyone's permission to do that. If that were true, it would be illegal to write anything! This is the way in which we should structure and organize this 964 FAQ.

Bob

The 964 Registry