Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best comprimse pads for DE and Street use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Best comprimse pads for DE and Street use?

I may have to run my 964 at Limerock on the 27th and want to replace the OEM (these are the original pads actually, 40K on them) pads with something that will work a little better. I was thinking Pagid Orange or Hawk Blue. Any opinions out there?

I'll only run her IF my track car isn't done on time, but need to plan for any possibility..

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:54 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Hawk HPS pads on my 1990 C2 before a 2 day driving school at Mid-Ohio. They stood up well and also work great on the street. My 2 cents worth.

Jim C.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:07 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Gary,

I believe that the Pagid Orange and Hawk Blue pads would be considered a no compromise pad for the track. But I often drive my 'track' pads on the street without any serious problems (I'm too lazy to always change them)... although you'll probably have to tolerate squeeling and much more brake dust on the street.

A "compromise" pad would be one that held up to a track day without turning to ashes, and didn't dust or squeel too badly when used on the street. Unfortunately, it probably won't have the bite or feel of a true track pad. I thought that the Carbotech Panther + (called something else now, I believe) falls into this category.

Have fun!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:38 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Hi Gary, my thoughts are if you are going to be driving on a race track, you need a track pad. Why compromise? Brakes are your life-line, and since you're putting yourself in a risky situation driving fast on a track, you ought to use a real pad to be sure you stop as well as possible. Considering how easy it is to change pads in and out with simple hand tools, I would recommend you get a track pad and change them for your track days. I've found Performance Friction 97's to kick butt.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What run group are you in? Is it a single day DE at LRP?

One possibility would be to simply install brand new OEM pads. If in a lower run group, I can't imagine you having any issues.
I would also suggest a check/change of your brake fluid at the same time, ATE Blue or Gold.

Hang on at the end of NoName.....it's a lot bumpier than last season!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
What run group are you in? Is it a single day DE at LRP?

One possibility would be to simply install brand new OEM pads. If in a lower run group, I can't imagine you having any issues.
I would also suggest a check/change of your brake fluid at the same time, ATE Blue or Gold.

Hang on at the end of NoName.....it's a lot bumpier than last season!
It will be one day at Limerock in Yellow, and the only reason I will run my 964 is because the dedicated track car may not be done for that day. It defineately will be done for the next DE a couple weeks later. I put Hawk (red?) on my BMW 330 last change and they worked great for the stree (don't track it), thought that I may as well move up one level of pad on the 964..
Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 PM
GeoffS
Track Day

Hi

On behalf of all the new and/or GB members, what's a DE?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

DE = Driver's Ed.

Marc
Old 08-16-2005, 01:50 PM
GeoffS
Track Day

Hi

Go on then - spoil us all and tell us what goes on when a Driver gets Ed'ed. A brief description of the day? would be good - what are the 'groups' talked about? do you graduate up the class like I and the dog did when I took the dog for Obedience classes?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's an event with several run sessions (like 20-30 minutes each) where cars are continually lapping, and usually allowed to pass in certain areas based on the class you are in. Classes are varied based on the car type and/or the experience level of the driver. There is also no timing, thus discouraging the racing part of the driving, and encouraging the educational part.

So to answer your question, it is like the dog obedience class - just no food rewards!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:04 PM
GeoffS
Track Day

Thanks for the insight.

Who does the instruction? Does instruction cost extra money? Would the day be open to lots of makes or just Porsches?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:08 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Geoff, usually the local clubs put it on. So if you're a member of the club (many different car makes have different clubs), you can run whatever you've got. Usually instruction is done by other club members that have been qualified to provide instruction. The qualifications vary, but most clubs I know of and participate with require some sort of "instructor training school" that they must go through.

In a "DE" event, the instruction is part of the entry fee. There was just a PCA DE here at the local stadium parking lot with a course marked out with cones - cost $60! And that included an instructor for each of your runs (4 20 minute sessions). What a deal!

In the PCA (Porsche Club of America) here in San Diego there are guys who drive different cars, in addition to their Porsches. But most cars are Porsches.

That's where I spotted this nice yellow 964
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

a little off topic (sorry Gary!) but here's another fancy 964 at last weekend's DE:
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Gary R,
I can't imagine any reason not to run one day at LRP in Yellow with new stock OEM pads. When you leave the track with your street car, there's nothing to change over.
Have fun.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

garrett376,
There are only 4 Ferrari Fly Yellow RSAmericas on the face of the planet. One is in Rhode Island about an hour from my house (he is my local DE Tech inspector).
They were apparently all at Hershey and took a group shot, he sent me a pic.

That car may in fact be Keith V's car; he runs the site www.rsamerica.net
IIRC, there is another Fly Yellow RSA in CA, but I dont' know the owner.

Quick Reply: Best comprimse pads for DE and Street use?