Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone converted front fogs into driving lights?

Old 04-09-2003, 06:35 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Post Anyone converted front fogs into driving lights?

The latest round of arguments regarding super bright headlights made me think it would be a great idea to convert the fog lights - I switch them on in fog about three times a year, but much more often have them on on the back roads at night - just to coax a little more visibility out of the road. As usual they mainly illuminate the verge for 3 feet in front of the car, but it helps a little.
The quick subarus have driving lights instead of the those big trademark fogs (which are driving lights on the rally cars anyway) - surely it would be a relatively easy mod? - and no angry flashers (unless you forget to switch em off )
Old 04-09-2003, 08:58 AM
gpallem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought about doing this as well when I saw ads for fog light bulbs with varying wattage--as high as 80W--don't remember exactely. Deciding factor for me not to do it was fear of melting the wiring harness. Apparently, you need to put in extra relays to protect the system when you go with the heavier wattage. I too would like more illumination. I once drove around for a couple of weeks in South-eastern Australia, and the high beams they have REALLY light up the road! Up to that point, I just never thought you could ever see that much in a car at night

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone converted front fogs into driving lights?