Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 100th post in less than a month! ...and car update. Thanks Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 AM
puma1824
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UPDATE: My 100th post in less than a month! ...and car update. Thanks Everyone!

My 100th post in less than a month! -actually well past 100 now

I just wanted to thank everyone for ALL there help as I get my car to running "normal".

Here's everything that has been done in the 3 weeks of owning my C4.

COMPLETED by yours truly...
1. Replaced wipers (cheap and easy) - instant noticable improvement in the rain

2. Replaced distributor belt...thanks Mark Cohen for the rebuild
(LINK to info)

3. Replaced Caps and Rotors - thought I should do it while distributor work was done.

4. Installed keyless entry
(LINK where I purchased. Not sure how much they charge to install)

5. Rewired horrendous stereo wiring

6. Sold Tan seats…bought Black and installed

7. Replaced heater shroud

8. Replaced DME relay...hopefully fixed engine stall we'll see (spare on the way)

9. Replace (on order) 6x60 screw that holds the heater blower to the shroud
(see post)

10. Replace entire interior from tan to black (90% complete) LINK

11. Replaced Primary Bypass pipe with stock muffler (I want it stock – wife wants it quiet)

12. Replaced Fabspeed Cup box with unmodified stock (again same reason for bypass)

13. Cleaned headlight lenses and replace bulbs with Silvania Silverstars (awesome easy DIY)

14. Polished exhaust tip (see post)

15. and the biggest thing I've accomplished...pissed off the wife (at the same time she's been VERY supportive).

Done by TPC or dealer:
1. New fuel filter
2. Oil change (done by TPC since it was there)
3. Replace brake lines with new Stainless Steel Teflon coated lines

LINK (Kevlar Brake Lines -AJUSA)

LINK to DIY

4. Brake and Clutch fluid bleed (since they were doing the SS lines)
(see post)

5. Replace stock struts/shock with new Bilstein HDs (H&R Springs already installed) (Done by TPC)

Stuff that NEEDS addressing…
1. Find A/C drain and unclog to hopefully resolve my wet foot problem. -it's been cold and I have not needed AC to reproduce problem.(see post)
2. Replace engine insulation. Mine is falling apart (this does NOT sound fun to do)
3. Fixed hard hot start -not sure if I still have this problem (see post)

Stuff pending due to parts on order or other
1. Replace rear sway bar with 90 C2 21mm version (see post)

2. Install front strut brace (see post)

Truthfully it's been a little frustrating. I've managed to not have a car for a week due to distributor swap problems (BUT Mark was awesome to deal with - highly recommend). So in the little time that I've own the car I haven't been able to enjoy it fully. Maybe once the little/obvious stuff is addressed I'll start to enjoy it. Please someone let me know it will get better.

Again thank you everyone for your support!

Thanks!
-Puma

Last edited by puma1824; 11-14-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, where do you get the time !!!
Its great to see people who really look after their cars!
keep up the good work
Old 08-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Puma,

Man... You really dug into the issues! We'll get to the bleeding in a week or two (I'll PM you!) It sounds easy, by all reports. We'll need to do our clutches too.

Keyless entry? Where did you buy the kit? Was it a Porsche kit or did you get it at Circuit City or similar? I need to do that one too... Nothing like having a beautiful car and having to use the key to lock it.

My A/C drain is not an issue... Most of my R12 leaked out somehow. I sent a note to the Keuhl company to see if they make stuff for my application. I also ordered a set of gauges and a vacuum pump so I won't be dependent on a local shop to fill my system.

That is A LOT to do in three weeks... Did you take a weeks vacation?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:02 AM
puma1824
Pro

Yeah we'll get the bleeding done this week.

As for Keyless entry, I purchased a DEI "Valet" keyless entry at Circuit City ($69) and installed myself. I actually was an installer at a local car audio shop for a year and a half before my "real" career. So I worked on alarms/keyless entry all the time. Not that hard of a job.

Yeah a lot in three weeks...and a lot to stomach. Thus the reason for pissed wife

hmm I guess this is post 101

Originally Posted by Smokin
Puma,

Man... You really dug into the issues! We'll get to the bleeding in a week or two (I'll PM you!) It sounds easy, by all reports. We'll need to do our clutches too.

Keyless entry? Where did you buy the kit? Was it a Porsche kit or did you get it at Circuit City or similar? I need to do that one too... Nothing like having a beautiful car and having to use the key to lock it.

My A/C drain is not an issue... Most of my R12 leaked out somehow. I sent a note to the Keuhl company to see if they make stuff for my application. I also ordered a set of gauges and a vacuum pump so I won't be dependent on a local shop to fill my system.

That is A LOT to do in three weeks... Did you take a weeks vacation?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow - that is quite the impressive list of jobs done.

Please, don't forget to snap the occasional picture if you're doing something new/interesting so that we may all benefit from your experience (ex. a keyless entry DIY would be sweet!).

Marc
Old 08-08-2005, 10:20 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Nothing like hitting the ground running! Well done. And yes, it does get better. Since my spring service, the only thing I've had to fix was the broken door pocket (again, so I'm considering a more permanent fix, like RS door cards... ) - so you'll get to a quiet point where all you have to do is drive and clean the car.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Great work Puma! Isn't it satisfiying doing your own work? You won't have any trouble selling that cup airbox and primary bypass. Most of us seem to be going the direction of more noise instead of less. How about a before and after pic of the seat swap?

c
Old 08-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with Darryl. It gets better. Glad to see you are taking good care or it!! Do post photos from time to time. Like, for example, before and after on the interior swap as you change things...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:49 AM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What other tan interior parts R U looking to part with? What kind of condition is your shift boot?

jg
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 AM
puma1824
Pro

Originally Posted by greenjt
What other tan interior parts R U looking to part with? What kind of condition is your shift boot?

jg
Shift boot is going to another Rennlister once I get my black one in. As for the other stuff.

- Door Panels
- Door Handle
- Door Pocket Cover
- Rear Jump - will most likely just re-cover
- Pilar cover - will have recovered unless someone wants to trade.
- Rear Quarter - will have recovered unless someone wants to trade.
- Rear deck bottom panel - will have recovered unless someone wants to trade.
- Center console - will have recovered unless someone wants to trade.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:46 PM
puma1824
Pro

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I agree with Darryl. It gets better. Glad to see you are taking good care or it!! Do post photos from time to time. Like, for example, before and after on the interior swap as you change things...
I definitely will. Right now it looks bad, black seat, passenger side not in, old tan carpet...yuk. It used to look nice. Now it's in its "awkward" stage.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:01 PM
puma1824
Pro

Originally Posted by Smokin
...Keyless entry? Where did you buy the kit? Was it a Porsche kit or did you get it at Circuit City or similar? I need to do that one too... Nothing like having a beautiful car and having to use the key to lock it....
Oh yeah if you want, I can wire yours since mine's already done and I can document (take pictures) as I go for everyone here. Would probably take only an hour if not documenting, not sure how long it would be taking pics.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:15 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Here's an even better idea, you do the wiring and Rick can take the pictures as you go. Then we can all copy you and we'll all have keyless entry. Sound good? Good...
Brian
Old 08-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

^^^ LOL
Old 08-09-2005, 03:21 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Default Keyless Entry

One of the first things I did. It was awkward to unlock the door with the right hand and transfer the key to the left to start the engine. I'm pretty ambidexterous but key thing in the left hand was just odd and I couldn't cope. I also just happen to like the keyless entry since I haven't owned a car w/o it for some time.

I had a Viper keyless entry installed, it took the tech about 40 minutes, cost $109 US installed. I suppose you could do this one yourself but the cost was very reasonable and I didn't have to do anything.

I'll stick to the jobs that I either know I'll do well or can reasonably expect to do better than most. This was one job I knew other's could do better than I.

Quick Reply: My 100th post in less than a month! ...and car update. Thanks Everyone!