Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Roof Cable (not drive)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:56 PM
paulnott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet Roof Cable (not drive)

Ever since I've had the car the passenger (LH side) of the roof has made noise when driving quickly (say over 60 mph). This prompted me to investigate and I discovered that there is a cable running over the door window in the fabric. This is attached at the top rear corner (under a machine screw that is visible) at the back of the roof, and inside to a spring at the front of the roof.

It turns out mine had corroded and snapped, so there is no real tension on this side, allowing the wind to get under the roof and flap the material. So I ordered a new one from Porsche - part number 964.563.405.00

So here's the thing. It came and I tried to fit it, but it seems about 1" or so shorter than the original. I assumed maybe the old one had stretched, but there is no way it stretched that much, and there is no way it's possible that the new one will reach between the 2 fixing points (in fact if I secure the rear end, the front doesn't quite go far enough to pass through the point at which it enters the car, let alone connect to the spring which at full tension is still another 0.5" or so away).

So I assumed I have the wrong part and phoned Porsche. They told me that it is correct and is the same part for every model '89 - '94. The ends are even different to the original (the first being like a hook and the new ones being plates with 2 holes drilled).

Can anyone help to shed light on where the issue might be?

Cheers,
Paul
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul

Please keep us up to date on this. I have the same failure on the pax side of my '91. So far I've ignored it, but it is irritating me every time I look at it. The solution is to keep the top down all the time, but that probably isn't too practical in the UK, as it is here in California. (Ahem.)
Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 PM
paulnott
Intermediate

Hi Jerry,
I certainly will do.
Currently I'm contemplating having a cable manufactured to fit. I'll see if anyone else comes back with suggestions or advice first. I suspect we're not the only ones to have come across this.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 08-05-2005, 02:39 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul,

I'm no expert on cab roof mechanics, but before you go looking for a complicated solution I'd strongly recommend a call to Dave Nunn at Southbound Trimmers on 01264 810080. Southbound are the accepted experts on all matters Porsche when it comes to trim and cab roofs. Your profile doesn't mention whereabouts in the UK you are, but Southbound are near Andover in Hants.

Regards

Dave
Old 08-05-2005, 04:22 AM
paulnott
Intermediate

Thanks Dave. I'll give Dave Nunn a call as I'd prefer to solve it with the right parts. I'm actually in Gosport which isn't so far from Andover.

I'll update the thread with what I learn.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 PM
paulnott
Intermediate

I called Southbound and they were very helpful.

It turns out the part I required is not a 964 prefixed part number, but is 911 prefixed and the same as used on the 3.2 SC.

The part number I required was 911.561.239.00 (approx 20 pounds). It's worth noting that this was for the left side of the car, there is a different part number for the right as the cables are "handed" (e.g. cable has an attached stainless runner which are mirrored per side).

I fitted the cable today and it seems to work. Basic instructions for fitting are;

1) Remove the vinyl covered board in the roof (over the back seats). There are 12 screws to remove this.

2) The rear screw has a nut on the inside (under the board mentioned in (1)). Remove the screw and nut - this releases the rear end of the cable.

3) The front end of the cable can be found by sitting in the appropriate seat (left or right depending on the cable you are changing) and feeling around the channel at the side of the roof above your head. In here the cable attaches to a spring via a 7mm nut/bolt. You will need to remove this.

4) To attach the new cable, you will find it easier to insert the new cable into the fabric with the roof half open/closed. Once inserted, perform the above in reverse order.

With everything complete I found the cable was initially too tight to release the roof from the front when opening. It required a gentle push. After opening and closing the roof a couple of times, it now seems normal.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Morten Skaar
Advanced

I am in the process of changing both sides, but having a problem manouvering the cable through to the inside of the car..
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 AM
windblown
Instructor

thanks for the updates!

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Roof Cable (not drive)