Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing power steering fluids...

Old 08-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing power steering fluids...

Is the 1L bottle of Pentosin CHF 11S that I have just not compatible with anything else because it's something special (it says it "should not be mixed with any other kind of hydraulic oil."), or is it just that NO power steering fluids can be mixed?

My car's power steering fluid is at the MIN line right now, but I don't know what kind is already in it (could be ATF dexron, could be Pentosin, could be something else, and I don't know if it's cool to mix two kinds? Especially after reading what it said on the Pentosin bottle...

Any suggestions of what I should do?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:00 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

FWIW

I've topped up power steering fluid once (i.e.not knowing what was in there to begin with) with automatic transmission fluid ATF with dextron about 5 years ago and I havn't experienced any ill effects.

Bill
90C2
Old 08-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Indycam
Aloha Euromagination
Any reason you think the system is filled with Pentosin CHF 11S ?
If you check the fluid inside the system now , does it look like the pentosin or does it look like atf ?

Griffiths steering page states that you can use Pentosin CHF 11S in the 964 .
I would not change to Pentosin myself. Porsche clearly wants dextron atf .
http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/steering/
I'm not wanting to switch, per se... I just have this bottle left over from last year when I owned my Audi A6. It says it's Porsche compatible, and has Porsche's part number on the side too of the bottle too. (000.043.203.33) I just want to use it since I have it, and the bottle was ~$30.

I don't know if it's filled with Pentosin. Probably not. The stuff in ther elooks brown, but the Pentosin is green. Or maybe what's in there has just changed color over time? I really don't know what it's filled with, which is why I'm asking what I should do, and what the consequences are of mixing.

I was just at the local auto parts store looking for Dexron, but there is none. Only Dexron-III. I don't know the difference, and of course the people who worked at the auto parts store didn't know either. There are tons of ATF's, just nothing with "regular" Dexron in it.

I'm not freaking out about this at all. It's a very minor issue, but I'd just like to find out what's up with all of this.

Thnx,
-Harry
Old 08-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

I read this...

"For the 911 C2, C4 and 993 you can use Dexron, or in severe cold temperatures you can use Pentosin (brand) type CHF 11s (replacing the Dexron with the Pentosin). "

...from the link that Indy posted. Guess that answers about adding the Pentosin.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mixing power steering fluids...