More Newbie worries!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 04:20 AM
Timmer
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default More Newbie worries!

Hi Forum -

had the C4 for probably a couple of months now and it hasn't missed a beat yet, (touch wood) anyhow....

I've noticed that if I dont drive the car for a couple of days the warning lights dont immediately go off when I start the car. This morning having not used the car for three days or so the warning lights stayed on for c. 100 yards.

When I went on Holiday (probably didn't drive for 10 days or so) had the same thing but this time the were five beeps to accompany the lights (rather worrying)

each time the lights went out and the car runs fine.

Likely problem here or simply new owner paranoia?!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:33 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably nothing to worry about it. If you're starting the car for the first time of the day, or it's been left standing for a while, it takes a bit of time (sometimes up to a minute) for the PDAS pump to fully charge up the traction crontrol system. You may be able to hear the pump running. The system is designed to hold pressure for a certain amount of time, but if the engine in not run for a while, then it needs to top itself up again & is normal. The beeps happen when it takes a little longer than it should to get up to full pressure, possibly down to low brake fluid (brakes & traction control/PDAS use same reservoir). Other causes could be low battery charge or in the worst case, a problem with the PDAS pump.

My old C4 used to do this & apparently it's quite normal - especially as these cars are getting old now.

Hope this settles your nerves!! Lots about this in the archives.

Andy

Last edited by Andy Roe; 07-27-2005 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:04 AM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is 'normal' behaviour, just as Andy says.
Had my C4 for just over 2 years now, and I reckon it tool me about 18mths for the nerves to settle down !!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:43 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmer
the warning lights dont immediately go off when I start the car. This morning having not used the car for three days or so the warning lights stayed on for c. 100 yards.
Are all the warning lights staying on or just the PDAS and brake pressure warnings (and large exclamation)? All the lights should go out within a few seconds of the engine starting and the PDAS lights should turn-off within 60 seconds otherwise you have a problem.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:57 AM
964rh
Pro

I have the same thing with mine Timmer.

It doesn't get used a great deal in the week, when run at the weekend the lights take a while to go out. The longest time being about two minutes after standing for 2 weeks.

Like Craig said it took a while and several phone calls when I first got the car to make me calm down

regards

Rob
Old 07-27-2005, 06:13 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same with mine. sometimes they go out streight away sometimes takes 100 or so metres I think its normal behaviour that is to be expected.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Timmer, I agree with everyone. I have owned mine for about 10 weeks and am still a bit anxious. The warning light for the 4wd would stay on for 30-60 seconds. Often, as soon as I stepped on the clutch, it would go out. My mechanic told me it takes a few seconds for the pump to fill...I think this is what Andy and Jason are speaking of. Also, the rear spoiler light stays on until you reach 5MPH (per the manual, if I remember correctly).

It's good to hear about the weekend jitters. I guess we have another 12-18 months before this passes.

Enjoy!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Do you guys drive off with the brake pressure warning lit up?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason,

Isn't it the PDAS light informing the traction crontrol and ABS will not work, and not the brake pressure warning light? Thought it was mechanically safe to drive like this?

Andy
Old 07-27-2005, 03:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

That is why I was curious to know which lights were activated. The only reason the PDAS light is on should be because the pressure reserve is too low in which case you should wait and not drive off. Unless the lights are blinking than it would be okay to drive around until you replace the warning switch. Obviously it is not a big deal to drive around with non-working interlocks but with no brake pressure trying to stop becomes a little more difficult (and if you were to drive off with a failed pump it could be nearly impossible).
Old 07-27-2005, 04:10 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

My warning lights stay on for abour 30-40 seconds, i sit and turn on radio, get comfy, adjust seat, put glasses on and ready to go.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:43 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to check your brake fluid level, as well. When I first got the car I was worried that something was wrong with the brake system until I realized that the light simply meant I was low on fluid. I guess Porsche hands out those little books with the cars for a reason.
Brian
Old 07-27-2005, 06:41 PM
yugger
Track Day

Default That's a relief...first post

I've had my '91 C4 for 1 1/2 weeks now and it's happened to me twice. The first time the warning tones came on because I started moving it. The second was just the lights, which went out after 10 seconds or so. I've gone a few days between each time I've driven it (because I'm out of town, otherwise it would be daily!). Can't wait till the 12-18 month jitters are gone!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:54 PM
C4porsche964
Intermediate

The C4 hydraulic pump has to pressurize the brake system which includes the calipers, clutch and PDAS. As stated previously, if the car sits for awhile, it takes longer to completely pressurize the system. If you don't want to hear the alarm, you can turn the key to on, and you will hear the pump start. It will continue to run until the system is up to pressure and then turn off. Now start the car and you should have no warning lights.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yugger
I've had my '91 C4 for 1 1/2 weeks now and it's happened to me twice. The first time the warning tones came on because I started moving it. The second was just the lights, which went out after 10 seconds or so. I've gone a few days between each time I've driven it (because I'm out of town, otherwise it would be daily!). Can't wait till the 12-18 month jitters are gone!
Hey, welcome to the board!

I remember my first drive home and stopping by the side of the road in a panic as I had just noticed that oil level was in the red -- that handy little book Porsche gives out with the car sure came in handy!

Please feel free to post some pictures of your new ride so we can all admire it -- we love pictures here!

Marc

Quick Reply: More Newbie worries!