Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Rear Emblem question (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/21644-rear-emblem-question.html)

jonfkaminsky 07-03-2001 04:38 PM

Rear Emblem question

Hi all-
On the rear bonnet of a '91 C2, one would expect to see the "Carrera 2" emblem. I am the third owner of the vehicle and it began life with me without the emblem. I figured maybe some trim packages did not include the emblem or whatever and never gave it much thought. However, as I was meticulously cleaning the other day, the light caught the engine bonnet just right and I could clearly make out the very faint outlines of "Carrera 2"...So very faint, I have missed it during all this time.

It would appear that the emblem once existed and either
1. was removed by previous owner
2. removed by a vandal
...leaving the outline perhaps as the result of differential weathering of the paint.

OR...the engine cover is NOT original and replacements come pre-painted with the requested color to match and WITH a faint outline of the emblem location so one could replace the emblem in the exact position.

I thought for a second that perhaps the car might have been in an accident and the hood and or emblem was lost or damaged in that event. But any repainting would have surely masked the faint outline I can see. I can't easily accept #1 or #2 above because there is no indication of the emblem either being there originally or its removal. I was under the impression that the emblems were affixed with studs and fasteners. And if not, with epoxy of some sort. There is no indication of either, just a faint outline of "Carrera 2." Anyone with any feedback on what may be the deal here?

just pondering...
Jon

GeoC2cab 07-03-2001 05:50 PM

hey man,
Im pretty sure these are self stick,kinda like a peel off backing and stick it on, i would check w/ a dealer and i bet u can get it for lesss than 100 bucks; and u have the outline where to line it up!

Drew_K 07-03-2001 06:45 PM

jon,

The emblem is attached with adhesive. If you can see a faint outline of the "Carrera 2," then I'm fairly certain the previous owner removed it. I wouldn't worry about it being some sort of cover up for a previous accident b/c I've heard of people removing the emblems for aesthetic reasons. I had to replace the "2" on my C2, and I almost couldn't tell where the "2" used to be when I removed it.

Drew
92 C2

J richard 07-03-2001 11:35 PM

I caught one with a chamois and peeled the corner up and bent it. Looked bad so I peeled the whole thing off. You can get new ones from the dealer$$$ or Performance Products has them for around $20. or so. Peel and stick.

John Miles 07-04-2001 04:41 AM

Just make sure you get a 964 version for your replacement. Saw a 964 the other day that had a 993 badge. This is the same style, but is a couple of inches smaller in width.
John