Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Found a 964 and drove it....

Old 06-19-2001, 01:22 PM
Riccardo
User

Jay - you say that your dash is all vinyl. Do you mean soft vynil or hard vinyl, like the plastic which is used for the part in front of the gearshift? I'm thinking, if the dash is covered in soft vinyl, it would still have some type of stitching, no?

Personally I like leather, but have no idea as to how it ages, so it is interesting hearing that vinyl might be beter. I guess though that here in England we won't have problems like the sun ruining it (we don't get any sun!).

Anyway, the car I saw definitely had stitching on the dash and also on the door handles. Maybe it was added as extra by a previous owner or maybe, as David pointed out, it hasn't been listed on the build sticker? Anyone else heard of "hidden" options?
Old 06-19-2001, 01:59 PM
Jay H
Super User

Riccardo:

My dash is covered in soft vinyl and is not hard like a plastic type covering. I'll double check tonight to insure there is no stitching present on the dash. My armrests and door pulls have the stitching on them though (and are covered in leather).

I guess I'll never forget the '85 Carrera I looked at about 5 years ago that had a full factory black leather interior. The car was misused, and the dashboard leather had shrunk and pulled back off of it's backing. The owner had stapled the leather back on to the cardboard backing with huge industrial staples (fully visible of course). All the other surfaces that were in leather were all cracked and shrunk. The owner tried to glue a lot of it back on with some really sticky adhesive and the leather was pulling back and revealing all of the glue beneath. What a site. Who knows if that interior would have held up better with vinyl...tough to say. Abuse will take it's toll on everything.
Old 07-27-2001, 03:38 PM
Iant
User

I recently bought a 1990 C4 LHD in the UK and it cost me £14500, i knew it had a few things in need of repair and decided to pay less than book price and do the work(or get the work done) myself. A few other problems have arisen that i did not know about however! Anyhow , if buying again i would look for one that someone else has done all the hard work for me, but great fun all the same!
Old 07-30-2001, 01:59 PM
mac964
User

Riccardo - I would be careful buying a car with a oil leak - there are some good LHD cars around in the UK - I've just purchased a '91 C2 with 80,000 kms. i utilised Formulae Fuchs up in Nottinghamshire.
they seemed very professional and got the car immaculate prior to me picking it up. So far the car has been everything I could have wanted ( but I've only had it two months).

Formulae Fuchs have a good web site - http://www.fuchs.co.uk/

Originally posted by Riccardo:
<STRONG>After some months (6) of gathering all information possible I have seen an interesting 964 for sale. It is a metallic black with black leather 1990 C2 with 65k miles and 3 owners. It also has 17" cup alloys and lowered suspension.

I drove the car and was very impressed with the ride and how taut and comfortable it felt. In general it was almost too quiet and civilised though!

The clutch has already been replaced, but stupidly enough with another dual mass one!The gearchange was good but a bit notchy.

The car has just been serviced and there are a few things wrong with it. First, the oil pressure sender does not work (always on max). Second there are some oil leaks. In fact, after driving it it did smell a bit of warm/burnt oil. Is this normal on 964s?

The current owner has spent money on the car and serviced it twice (in 6000 miles) but I can tell he is not fanatical about cars. I could feel that no wax had been applied to the paint and there inside was not spotless (saggy roof).

So, anyone have any thoughts? Does this seem like a good car?

Thank you for any comments!

Riccardo </STRONG>
Old 07-31-2001, 05:42 AM
Riccardo
User

Mac964,

I was wondering if this is your car (see pic). If so, could I ask how much you managed to bargain the price down?

Asking price for that obne seems way over the odds for a LHD 91 C2!

I have, however, considered going over to have a look at them. They seem rather reputable.

Enjoy your new purchase.

Old 08-03-2001, 04:58 AM
Brad
User

I've just bought - privately - my 1990 964 C4. It's got lowered suspension, no mods/fixes to the oil system, and is as dry as a bone. Only done 60,000 miles. Interior is 100% orignal, and spotless. Asking price was £15,000, got it for £13,000. It's also LHD and I agree that it is no problem in the UK - unless you're on a windy A road and want to get past something - lets just say it's "interesting" at times!

The RHD/LHD price differential is something like £1800 - not a lot, but enough to make £16,000 seem quite high, especially if the car is a bit tired inside. If you are in doubt, check Parkers.co.uk for a very good report on buying/bargaining on a 964.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:36 AM
Iant
User

I have to say the differance between LHD and RHD is a fair bit more than £1800, a decent 1990 964 is going to cost at least 19K! There a few grotty ones around for less but theyve normally done 120'000 miles got red or brown interiors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: