Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   CV issues (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/21477-cv-issues.html)

BS911 06-03-2001 11:17 AM

CV issues

While replacing the tranny fluid yesterday, I was inspecting the underside of the car and found that my drivers' side outer CV boot is split wide open about 3/4 way round. I guess to replace that boot, I'll need to pull the whole axle out, which means I might as well do both ends. I couldn't find much info on this. Has anyone done this before and are there things I should prepare for/lookout for ahead of time? Anything else I should do while I'm in the process? What should I use to clean the old grease off the joints with? Should I go ahead and do both axles? Why are there four "i's" in Mississippi, four "s's", two "p's" and only one "m"... as far as I know?

By the way, I was going to expand my article section with a tranny fluid change, pictures and all, but found out that if you leave your (fortunately very cheap) little digital web-camera on the spoiler, it doesn't fare well on the test drive. :o Oh well, no pictures this time.

horst 06-03-2001 02:56 PM

sorry about your camera. Re: the CV joints, I have done this to my 930 a couple of years ago, havent messed with my 964 yet- I'm guessin its the same. Anyhow, if one boot is torn, chances are good that the others may not be far behind. On my 930, need to get long extention and allen head socket (don't remember the size). Have helper inside to step on the brake as you break each of the bolts loose on the tranny side, rotate, do next, etc. Then do the side on the wheel hub, same thing, except obviously you will be under car facing out. These babies a TIGHT. When you get the axels out, you can disassemble them- There will be a cap on the ends which you tap off, and then I believe there is s circlip on the shaft. You then have to REALLY TAP to get the joint off the shaft. You can take the balls out, inspect, clean, relube and reassemble if all is well. I flipped mine around, so the side that was connected to the tranny was now connected to the hub- longer life, I surmised. It would be real nice if you could get new bolts. Supposedly they have a thread that has a profile which makes them recommended for one time use only. I tried to get new ones, was unsuccessful, so what the hell, I reused the old ones. That was almost a disaster" As I was backing the car out one day, I heard a clunk.Stopped, inspected, and the inboard joint on the drivers' side had nearly fallen off! That could have been exciting and expensive at speed! Any how, I took out all the bolts, cleaned them and their mountin holes with laquer thinner, and locktited them- make sure tightening torque is at least 2 grunts.I did not have any problems after that.Good luck.

Level8Drummer 06-18-2001 11:54 PM

LOL! Those people in Mississippi are crazy. It's not as easy as New York is it?

I'm out of High School and I still don't know how to spell Connetticut