Sort of off topic tire question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 04:38 PM
borion
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sort of off topic tire question

Hi There!

I have a tire question that sort of applies to 911s as well.

My commuter car needs tires. It used H rated all season high performance Dunlops that aren't made any more. I've used TireRack to assist me in finding suitable tires through their web site. I've narrowed the search down to 2 tire types. One is a Yokohama AVS dB and the other is a Kuhmo Ecsta 712 (Porsche content: these will fit your cars).

The Yokohama, to read the scoring on the TireRack site sounds almost too good to be true, being almost noiseless, having good grip in all conditions and being useable in snow. It costs just over $100/tire.

The Kuhmo is an extremely high performance tire, which would be over kill for this car, but they are dirt cheap!!! Only $77.00/tire!!

Here are my questions: How good are these inexpensive Kuhmo tires? I've never really heard of this brand until recently. It's point ratings at TireRack aren't quite as good as the Yokohamas (but they're alot better than some of the other tires I thought about), and I'd be concerned that being an ultra high performance tire I wouldn't get much life out of them. I don't need these high performance tires, but like I said before, they are cheap.

The Yoko's I suspect are the better tire, but does anyone have any experience with these? Are they as quiet as they claim, and do they grip as well as they claim they do?

How good are these TireRack point ratings? To look at scores on the AVS dB, you would almost wonder why everyone on earth isn't using them.

Thanks<

Bob
Old 01-10-2002, 06:21 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You might check the wheels/tires forum. There was some discussion about 40 days ago on the Kumho's.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Michael Witz
Track Day

I currently have Yokohama AVS Intermediate's on my 89 C4 with stock wheels. I am upgrading to 17" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport's this spring .

The Yoko's performed well in my opinion. Wet and dry traction was good. The engine noise overshadowed any tire noise (couldn't hear the tires over the engine)

I did not push them to their limits but they didn't have any problems doing 60mph on off ramp cloverleafs.

My wife runs Dunlop 8000's on her S4 and they have a very noticable tire wine.

Once I get some miles on my new wheels and tires I'll post my findings.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:58 AM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I currently have the Michelin MXX3 Pilot Sports. they perform very nicely. You will like them for daily use. Never pushed them hard on a track, so ,no feedback in that area.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Paul Hewitt
AutoX

I just put a set of Kuhmo Ecsta 712's on my 90 C2 and they are quiet and grip well on Wet pavement. I use the car as a daily driver
Old 01-11-2002, 07:18 PM
borion
Track Day

I guess this topic should be closed. I bought the Kuhmos. I just couldn't justify putting a any amount of money into this car.

For future reference if anyone is interested, they come in V and W speed ratings. The V's have a UTQ of 360, and the Ws have a lower rating. Needless to say I got the lower cost Vs (not even sure if Ws are available). The tread warranty is for 40,000 miles. I test drove them and for high performance tires they were remarkably quiet. How they will hold up only time will tell, but from the little amount of driviong I've done on them I'd say they're pretty decent.

Bob

Quick Reply: Sort of off topic tire question