Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Lurker" becomes active member (intro. and question)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 12:44 AM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool "Lurker" becomes active member (intro. and question)

Hey all -- I have been "lurking" (and learning quite a bit!) for a while here and finally decided to "take the plunge" and join this group.

In looking through the past posts, I found numerous very interesting and informative "nuggets" of knowledge and opinions regarding the 964 -- all of which have been very helpful to me (thanks for all who make this a great list!).

My 1989 964 is my first Porsche -- owning a 911 has been a life-long dream/goal of mine and I decided to "get serious" about it here recently. Unfortunately, "getting serious" can be a dangerous thing as I tend to totally lock in on my objective and often "over-indulge" (translation -- over-spend!).

This project was no exception -- I had always (thought I) wanted a Porsche 930 or 911 Carrera and so started my internet research, reading, and contacts with numerous Porsche people.

To make this first intro. post as short as possible, I'll be brief here. I ended up going in a direction I never expected when, after hearing as many people tell me to get a Turbo as those who said not to, and finding that the most consistent piece of advice I kept hearing was to buy the most recent Porsche I could afford, I found a very nice 1989 964 for....$12,000!

It gets much "worse" -- I saw the post on how much each person spent on their car each year and so my "disclosure" figure for 2001 is.......about $22,000 in additional work/upgrades.

The main component is an intercooled Whipple supercharger and the related engine work and modifcations needed for this system. I know this goes "against the grain" in regard to most traditional Porsche performance experts but it was actually "our friend" Bruce Anderson (yes, I saw the posts about him, as well!) that convinced me to investigate this system thoroughly based on his very complimentary article in his "911 Performance Handbook". As my main objective was/is "awesome" throttle response, this no-lag system on an AWD 911 made sense to me.

Anyhow, my 964 now has the potential for 993/996 twin-turbo performance at way below the cost for one of those newer models (and I had always wanted a traditional 911 so the 964 is, to me, the very best blend of the old and the new!).

I still have a TON to learn and hope/plan to continue to benefit from this dicussion forum -- I'll stop here (remember, this is the "short" version!) but will be glad to post details or answer any questions about my car for any who may be interested.

My (first) question is this -- I could really use some input on exhaust sound preferences. I bought my system "sight unseen" and it is just a bit too loud for comfortable neighborhood/parking lot driving. I have the stock exhaust manifold, a Fabspeed cat-bypass pipe and a single Bassani muffler. I'm considering either a high-performance cat or possibly a very small additional "turbo" style muffler to buffer the noise just a bit (my current Bassani is not very big so there is room along the rear bumper for another small exhaust component)...Thanks
Old 01-10-2002, 08:50 AM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Tim, There is a Supercharger post on the 993 board right now. You probably would want to read this. Hope this helps. Roy
Old 01-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Planter91C2
Advanced

how did you get a 89 964 for $12,000.00 ????
Old 01-10-2002, 12:48 PM
apw964
Instructor

I've gotta ask too - where can we buy 964's for $12,000

Would love to know

Also - my perspective on your exhaust note : I have a standard exhaust system and was a little concerned about the lack of noise from my car. After getting the Air Box drilled the Induction noise after 4000 rpm under load is great, whilst maintaining nice civilised whilst not under load or cruising.

You of course will have to also consider the performance hit of going back to a standard system - for me thought the induction noise is enough

Thanks - Andy
Old 01-10-2002, 01:35 PM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

Yes, the $12,000 price blew me away, as well -- I had (previously) decided to look for an 87-89 Carrera and hopefully find one in this price range!

I found this car through one of the Porsche contacts I had made during my "research" and it was literally a case of being in the right place at the right time and finding a Porsche owner with high integrity (after verbally agreeing to sell it to me, he received other higher offers but held it for me just based on my word with no deposit for a couple of weeks). As this was a long distance transaction, it required trust on both our parts and ended up working out very well and being a (refreshing) example of a truly honest deal.

This car, although it had high miles (130,000), had been a daily driver with full maintenance records and had never been raced or even "pushed" much. It had the "typical" 964 oil leak issue and the finish had not been kept up real well but the interior was like new and the body/structure was great. The major a/c components had just been replaced and mechanically it needed nothing other than front brake rotors (it turned out, after I got it, that the oil lines also needed replacing so that was a little bit more $$$).

The former owner was going to trade it in at the local Porsche dealer and they said they'd only give him $12,000 in actual cash value for the car so he agreed to sell it to me for that same amount (I'm sure the Porsche dealer was figuring they would be looking at an engine job for the oil leak and paint or finish work as costs they would incur prior to reselling the car).

As the supercharger installation I had already decided on involved a top end rebuild, this car was a perfect candidate (this installation involves lowering the compression ratio in order to reduce the possibility of detonation concerns from the added boost).

Anyway, I was very blessed to find this deal as it is the only reason I currently have a 964! (otherwise, I'd most likely be hanging out on the 911 Forum right now!)

Also, Andy -- I do not want to go "backwards" too much (if at all) with the exhaust so I'm (hopefully) going to try and work towards just adding another low reduction component (thanks for the airbox tip -- I had seen that on another 964 Board but already have a K & N intake set-up on mine).
Old 01-10-2002, 01:39 PM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

I almost forgot -- Roy, thanks for the tip on the 993 post, it turns out that this car is within 50 miles of me so I hope to get together with Cecil and compare systems.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:17 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim:
Cool story. Welcome to the board. Post any photos you may have of the car, conversion, etc.

Quick Reply: "Lurker" becomes active member (intro. and question)