Oil gurgling sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 10:02 AM
a3holerman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Oil gurgling sound

Hi,

I posted this a while ago and received several responses ( thanks all) but a thought occured to me that brought it up again.

On a cold start I hear a fluid rushing much like water. I assume this is oil running in the pass. side oil lines to the cooler and back. After warmup it goes away. The problem is that on a cold start shouldn't the oil thermostat be shut to warm up the oil asap then open as it heats up ? So why am I hearing the sound right away on a cold start ?
Old 01-07-2002, 10:30 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear A3,
The gurgling sound is coming from behind you right. This is quite normal. The thermostat to the oil cooler is not opened until the oil is hot. These sounds are very normal on dry sumped engines. The oil tank from where the oil is being extracted from is in front of the right rear wheel,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-07-2002, 10:57 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

HiA3,

If you haven't found it already, this issue is currently being discussed on the 993 board.

One theory put forth is that the thermostat is leaking by a bit, causing the flow noise, and when the thermostat opens fully the sound goes away.

I have always heard gurgling from the oil cooler (right-front side) after the thermostat opens. Does your gurgling sound perhaps shift from the rear of the car to the front of the car?
Old 01-07-2002, 11:00 AM
a3holerman
Intermediate

Adrain,

Thanks for the reply. I did notice it on the 993 board and it got me to thinking.......

I guess its just the oil from the sump to the tank

Thanks again

Now what do you know about 1993 Ford F-150 blower motors that only work on high speed ??

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Oil gurgling sound