How to fix a squeaky CCU fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:05 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to fix a squeaky CCU fan

One day riding home from work with my roommate a horrible squealing/squeaking sound began emanating from somewhere behind the dashboard. I was understandably worried and perturbed, probably as much from the mechanics bill I was sure was awaiting me as from the smug grin on my friend's face since he was also imagining my new bill. Well, thanks to some time and a little help from this forum I found the cure. It didn't cost me anything and only took about 45 minutes.
Brian
Old 06-22-2005, 12:13 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Tools:
-Phillips screwdriver
-Metric socket set (I can't remember exactly which size socket I used, but I know it was small maybe 7mm or 8mm? )
-Radio removal tool: These are two little U-shaped pieces of metal that fit into the holes on either side of the CCU and allow you to slide it out. Cost me $5 at the local auto parts store, but you can make your own out of coat hangers if you're really cheap, errrr.... frugal.
-Grease: I just used the Mobil 1 synthetic I had lying around
-Rags

Time:
About 45-60 mins if you take your time and don't scratch up the interior or break the CCU.

This pic shows the underside of the CCU. The fan is circled.
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2005, 12:19 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Step 1:
Insert the radio removal tools on either side of the CCU and push them in until you can pull it out of the dash. Have a few rags standing by so that you can stuff them in between the unit and the trim so it doesn't get marred.

Step 2:
Remove the two large plugs from the back right hand side of the CCU. It's fairly self-explanatory once you have a look at it. The plugs are hinged to one side. With the plugs removed, remove the unit from the dash.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:25 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Step 3:
The fan is attached to the unit with two hex bolts. Remove them, set them aside, and disconnect the electrical connection to the rear of the unit. There is also a small piece of rubber tubing which directs air from the outlet of the fan to the interior of the CCU. Remove that as well.
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2005, 12:31 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Step 4:
The fan is held together by two small phillips screws (circled in yellow on the fan. Also visible in yellow on the right side is the rubber tube that directs air to the inside of the CCU, and in purple is the hex socket I used to remove the two bolts in Step 3. See, I told you it was small. ). Remove these two and the fan will come apart into three pieces: the top metal portion, the fan itself, and the bottom black portion.
NOTE: Do not lose the small hex nuts the screws thread into. They can fall out of the fan housing if you aren't careful, and they're small enough to be difficult to find once lost.
The fan has spindles on each end that fit into holes in the other two pieces. Lube up the spindle and the holes with some grease on the end of a q-tip or toothpick.

Step 5:
Put that sucker back together in the same order you took it apart.

I did mine about a month ago and it's been quiet as a mouse ever since. Hopefully it will last, and if it doesn't, it's not hard to pull it back out and do it again. At any rate, when I checked the fans were special order parts and if I remember correctly cost $150-200 a piece. My fix was much cheaper.
Brian
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2005, 04:57 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Whilst you're there you might as well open the front cover and blow some air through cleaning the air sensors and the insides of the CCU.

kevin.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian... Excellent write-up! Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:49 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Kevin,
I was going to do that, but I couldn't get the temp button off, and I really didn't want to risk doing any more damage than was absolutely necessary.
Brian
Old 06-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Pascal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent Brian!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Pascal
Old 06-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State

Brian

When I do something like remove the CCU (ayear ago) I just throw all the parts in a big bowl and replace most of them when rebuilding. I figure anything left over were not really necessary if the thing still works. I currently have the pax window regulator all over the garage floor and car floor. I know I'll have a few screws left over. How many depends on how much beer consumed.

Do you always take pictures?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

In an effort to track down my code for Inside Sensor Motor I figured I would take this out and follow Brian's lead. What a great write-up! It is as easy as it looks. I had a slight problem getting the plugs loose on the back. I think that it was the first time it had ever been taken out.

I haven't checked my codes yet but the fan was dry as a bone with NO lube on it.

Brian... Thanks again for the great write-up!
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM
asimler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up and pics.
many thanks
Anthony
Old 10-17-2006, 04:43 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, what is the symptom for this problem? Constant squeaking or only when fan is running?
I have an occasional squeak I think is the blower fan... varies with blower fan speed. Pretty sure it is the blower fan 'cause it is harder to fix
Old 10-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Mark... I am not 100% sure. However... A squeaky fan is one sign. I don't recall ever hearing my fan being on! That in conjunction with a code I was getting (45 - Inside Sensor Blower Motor) made me think to try this after looking through the DIY section and seeing how easy Brian made it look.

Hmmmm... Interesting. I am running the Diagnostic Interface as I type here to see if this fixed my problem. The code is not reappearing but when I tried all the various climate control settings my car would not accept changes while the Scantool was hooked up to the car and in "Climate Control" mode. It was stuck with the heat and fan on full blast! I needed to shut down Scantool and turn off the car to reset the system!

However.. My code is now clear apparently!

Last edited by Smokin; 10-18-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:18 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Rick I think about everybody seems to get code 45. I dont know if its a real fault or not. Mine comes and goes.

Quick Reply: How to fix a squeaky CCU fan