Trading in 964 at a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:21 PM
nekbet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in 964 at a dealer?

Howdy folks,

Now don't do taking this the wrong way.... I'm not for sure getting rid of my 964.. It depends on what happens with new job and travel over the next month..

But.. hypothetically, if I was interested in a Cayenne from a Porsche Dealer - would they take a 964 on trade or would they price it so low to stay away from it?

The Targa is very clean, and in awesome mechanical shape with 125k miles... I figure it is worth 19-20k private party... Am I crazy to think a dealer would offer me anything around that and save me the hassle of selling a car (hassle being joy riders, my travel schedule, etc)?

Cheers,

Mike
1990 964 C4 Targa
Old 10-17-2006, 02:28 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at this around a year ago. I seem to remember trade-in value on the normally aspirated 964's being between $7,000 and $11,000. In other words, you will probably be best off going through the pain of a private sale.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Mine was a trade-in, I bought it from a Porsche dealer and was told by the salesman ('grain of salt' time, I know, but he told me the truth about everything I asked him) that they had some internal debate about whether to keep it or not because of the age, but they kept it because of the low miles (59K) and because it showed well. They put some work into it fixing some electrical stuff, and still figured they could make a decent profit.

A dealer will be interested in almost anything he can make significant money on. That said, some dealers will be lukewarm about taking something that doesn't fit the profile of things they like to have on their lot - or something that could have potential problems that could make a buyer into an albatross. That's where the miles might hurt you. In that case, they just look at it as an auction car and I wouldn't expect much of a favorable offer from them - at least, not the kind of offer we know the market will bring for our cars, anyway.

FWIW, I think he said they gave around $15K allowance for it, put around $1500-2000 in it (company 'funny-money', not real $$ of course) in repairs, detailed it, I bought it for $23K. Not a bad profit for not much effort on their part, I think. Seems like dealers would be more agreeable to taking in older ones.

Just my observations...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:27 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Go ask the dealer.... nothing to lose if they lowball you. Just sell it youself then.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

I was offered $22K for mine as a trade-in on a 2002 996 Turbo with 29K miles. But, they wanted $72K for the Turbo -- and it wasn't that much more fun!

Doc
Old 10-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you REALLY want to find out how much they will give you... Negotiate your best deal and then throw the trade in. They will probably low ball you! If it's nice enough they may keep it and step up on the trade value. If not.. They will be at the mercy of a wholesaler or independent dealer to put a number on it. Either way... You're better off selling it on your own.

Just my .02
Old 10-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

At least with our cars, the "hassle factor" of selling it ourselves is compressed into a short period of time - maybe only a few days, or even a few hours, before someone jumps at it. Maybe even someone on this list!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:03 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Brandon auto museum in Atlanta will take a car on consignment, and they get great traffic. Commision is 10%, but they are professionals and get top dollar. Perhaps there is a similar place near you.

Several years ago, a dealer offered me $800 as a trade in on my 1988 Mercedes 300 TE. I paid cash for the new car, and quickly sold the Mercedes private party for $6800. That may be an extreme case, but dealers low ball unless it is something they think they can move easily.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
skruggs964
Pro

The dealer will probably offer it to his wholesaler....and they will probably try to hose you on the trade-in value. My girlfriend traded in her Land Rover Discovery for a new Toyota a few years ago. They weren't interested in putting it on their lot, so their wholesaler offered her below rough Black Book on it....and it was far from rough. They saw her coming.....she essentially gave away about $5000 by not selling it herself.

The wholesaler picked up a Land Rover for $3800 that was easily worth $9000 retail.....what a racket!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I think that you also have to be careful to look at the total package. The dealers tend to "play" with the trade-in number. For example, I traded in a Volvo 760 turbo once against a Jeep. The trade was logged as $11k on the paper work, but I'm sure it was so that the dealer could make the Jeep sale look right; or some such. Bottom line, the car wasn't worth more than $7 or $8k on a good day.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:31 PM
skruggs964
Pro

dfinnegan....I totally agree. I think it's prudent to get their best price first without any mention of a trade-in....then talk turkey about the trade-in afterwards. This way, you know the "real" number they are giving you for your car.....
Old 10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A bit off topic, but as long as we're on to dealing with dealers I read about an approach that I've used twice to great advantage . . . do your homework and try and figure out exactly what a really good deal is on the car you're looking for. Then write up the exact specs of what you want and fax it to all of the dealers within a 50 or 100 mile radius. Indicate your intent to purchase within 2 weeks time.

Some will be offended, but a couple will call you up and talk turkey. I expect they look at the exchange as an opportunity to pull in a sale they would normally have no chance at all for. Plus, you won't be spoiling their market space with talk around town of the great deal you got because you live too far away.

On two occasions I have gotten really good deals doing this and I found it rather painless.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:29 PM
David P
Instructor

It also helps if the dealer knows you and your car. I was offered a trade in on my 964 in for exactly what I paid for it a year and a half ago on GT3 at a very attractive price. I know the dealer, and they know my car and the work that has been done on it. (They probably sell four or five 964s a year.)

OT The GT3 is seriously tempting. It will be at a track day I'm doing at the end of the month and they have suggested I "try it and buy it" at the track day, but she who must be obeyed, isn't so keen on the idea.

Quick Reply: Trading in 964 at a dealer?