Sponsored by:

Someone shot out my headlight....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 09:41 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Someone shot out my headlight....

well, it could have been rather a large stone flicked up from the road I suppose. I now have a hole the size of half a fist in my left headlight (I would use the term 'nearside' if you were all based in UK)...

I guess I'll tape it up for now as the service is coming in 3 weeks and won't have the time to make the 40 mile round trip to the 'shop' before then.

Does this happen VERY often? What a pain in the A**(E)!
Old 12-11-2001, 10:19 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Christer,
A common occurence at high speed on the German autobahns. Especially on areas which are breaking up (around Stuttgart) or where there are road works. I have one in my RH headlight and lost my windshield on the same stretch of road, one year apart. Some people put those stick on bullet holes over the stone damage. I have seen them on a headlight. Our neighbours Nissan has a few. Well that could be real bullet holes from his Porsche driving neighbours but we won´t tell him,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-11-2001, 10:20 AM
Fortius
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Christer,
it happens especially on highways and tracks. I have changed the part on both sides twice in the last couple of years. At least it is not an expensive part...

A few month back I have seen some clear plastic covers for the headlights (for track use, I think it is not street legal in Germany). I think it was in the ISA Racing catalogue (www.isa-racing.de).
Old 12-11-2001, 11:12 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Adrian

I imagined that you would live in a good neighbourhood.....not one with a Nissan next door!!! How do you cope?

Mind you, my neighbours have a really nice Mercedes SLK(!) and a Nissan Micra.....I wonder which one the wife uses? Or on second thoughts perhaps the guy doesn't have a car at all...

I think I'll give the stickers a miss, especially as a lens only costs around £15. If I don't and knowing my luck, the heat from the headlight bulb would probably set the sticker on fire and then I would end up replacing the whole unit AND repainting the wing/fender

I'll still stick some elec tape over it in case it's not so good to collect 1.5 liters of rainwater in there whilst waiting for the service
Old 12-11-2001, 02:55 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

My headlight & foglight had holes in them when I bought the car. But not the size of half a fist!

Anyway, I replaced both with used parts I bought thru Parts Heaven, then I covered headlights & foglights with StonGard from 3M. It's been four years, and things have held up quite nicely!

-- Melissa
Old 12-11-2001, 06:29 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MM,

Stongard's a great product! Smart move on your part!!

Richard
Old 12-11-2001, 07:56 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Richard.

It was a pretty easy decision after finding the cost for a used, let alone new, H5 headlight.

Of course, after I put the StonGard on, my mechanic suggested changing out my headlights to H4's for better lighting.

Maybe someday......

-- Melissa
Old 12-12-2001, 06:29 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Christer,
We are surrounded with all types of autos. Things are different here. We have Porsches, Mercs, Audis, BMWs, Nissans, Ferraris, Lotuses, Nissans, Subarus and the list goes on.
The most common brands in our village are
Audi, Subaru, Honda (AWDS). BMWs head up the RWDs. We have six Porsches in our village,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-12-2001, 11:23 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
Just a 964 wannabe checking the posts here, but I have the Stonegard's on my 944's turn signal lenses, fog lights and headlights. Took about 30 minutes to install 6 pieces of the stuff. I got them from Tweeks fairly inexpensively. There is another product, Xpel (X-Pel ?) that is the same but the company offers a $1000 guarantee on the product. But Melissa is right, it's cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Someone shot out my headlight....