Sponsored by:

If my battery goes flat...

Old 12-11-2001, 07:32 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question If my battery goes flat...

Hello fellow 964ers,

I will soon be leaving my car in storage for nearly a month (going on holiday). Seeing as I have two alarms installed (one imobiliser and one standard alarm) I fear the battery may be flat upon my return.

There is a friend which will be able to charge it, so thats ok.

Question is, is there anything I should be aware of? There has been another thread which involved resetting DMEs etc.

The battery will be charged by my friend 2 or 3 days before I get there. He will then start the car to check if everything is OK, run it for a bit and then switch it off.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:40 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Riccardo,
If your battery goes flat the DME will reset itself. Mind you it has to go totally flat for this to happen. Less than 10VDC. If the clock is still working, so is the DME.
If the 964 is going into storage would it not be better to disconnect or remove the battery. This would be the ultimate theft prevention. The doors can still be unlocked with the key and your battery will not go flat. The alternative would be a trickle charger hooked up,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-11-2001, 07:42 AM
Fortius
Track Day

Lightbulb

Hi Riccardo,

the most elegant and uncomplicated way would be to use the cigarette-lighter charger (USD 40). I had my car in the garage for a year and it started with the first try.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Fortius,
The only danger with this is the charger has to be monitored. If the battery goes west, even with a trickle charger over a long period of time, horrible things can occur.
I use a solar charger for this purpose. Works for me but you need light of course.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-11-2001, 08:50 AM
GK
Intermediate

Hi Riccardo,

I guess your battery should be OK if there are no leaks. I went for a drive last Sunday and the engine started promptly after being in the garage for 4 weeks (mine also has an alarm + immobiliser).

Your idea to have your friend to charge the battery is not bad, but in my opinion just starting the engine without driving is not a good idea.

Bye now,
Giorgio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If my battery goes flat...