Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to replace 964 central switch board with 993 part?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 07:51 AM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Is it possible to replace 964 central switch board with 993 part?

When I had my whale tail installed on my 1991 C2, I also replaced the wing activating switch with the Turbo coin box.
However, due to weight considerations (Adrian, this is your effect!) I am contemplating going back to the original electric wing. However, I do not want to fix the big and, to me, ugly switch again.
So, does anybody of you have experience with the 993 switchboard? Can it be installed in a 964? Or is there a way to forget about the switch altogether?

Thanks for your help!

Anatol
1991 C2

PS: the gearbox plus GT3 LSD has been ordered!
Old 12-06-2001, 08:04 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Anatol,
The switch was just a luxury. It was installed because of complaints of people being booked for speeding because the spoiler was up. It serves no other purpose than to provide manual override. I do not have this switch and you do not need this switch,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-06-2001, 05:35 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Swiss Guys

I can also tell you that the switch comes in handy when you're stuck in traffic and want to help bring some cool air into the engine compartment. Kind of a nice luxury.

-- Melissa
Old 12-06-2001, 06:45 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

High,
I always put mine up after driving the car, I think the heat can escape faster w/ the spoiler up.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:25 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Anatol, what could possibly be the "weight" issue with your whale tail when compared to the "pop-up" wing?? Are you using the factory whale tail, Carrera type with the rubber lip -or- a one piece repro.??

I am currently in the process of making the change to a one piece Carrera tail, from MA Shaw, nice piece.

I just don't see any issue with weight, if there was a difference it couldn't be more than a pound or two...so again, what is the weight issue you and Adrian have obviously discussed??
Old 12-07-2001, 05:40 AM
Anatol
Racer

Hi
I have an original Porsche 911 3.2l Carrera whale tail with rubber edge installed on my C2, just like the RS America. This assembly is said to be some 10kg heavier than the electric wing of the 964. I had the wing installed because going to very high speed corner (faster than 200km/h or 120mph) on the German autobahn gave me an uneasy feeling. Together with splitters at the front, the car seems to be far better balanced aerodynamically than with the standard set up.
However, how often do you go around a corner at more than 200 km/h? Right, almost never. What I do very often is racing up some crazy mountain roads where low weight and acceleration are top priority. That is why I will be swapping my standard gearbox for a 993 six-speeder with ROW gearing and GT3 LSD. And hence I contemplate going back to the original wing.
Nevertheless, you are all right about the cooling issue. The whale tail gives me a warmer engine already - nothing to worry about but noticably so. And I remember when I was practicing at Imola last year, I had the wing (then still the electric one) in the up-position when waiting for the next go because of the higher engine temperature.
So I will think the whole issue over again and let you know what came out.
Best solution would be a Turbo S or RS 3.8 carbon wing with integrated lid. I was offered a used RS 3.8 last winter for CHF 3000 (approx USD 1900) but found this to be too expensive. However, the wing is extremly light (some 5kg including lid!) gives excellent cooling and downforce but looks very macho.
Thanks again,
Anatol
1991 C2
Old 12-07-2001, 07:10 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Melissa,
This is Switzerland, we do not get stuck in traffic. Six cars in front of me is a traffic jam. This is hillbilly land where Anatol and I live. Other places have traffic jams or stau we just have cows on the road, holding things up,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Is it possible to replace 964 central switch board with 993 part?