AMD custom chip
big bore throttle bodies
cat bypass
98 ron petrol
Old 07-16-2002, 03:22 PM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! How does that compare to the plots/figures from AmD?
Old 07-16-2002, 05:00 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the before and after bhp plots from AMD
catalst present
95 ron unleaded
( I have also had the distributers rebuilt, anew O2 sensor and the valve clearances reset since this run)
Old 07-17-2002, 07:04 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tony

not wishing to sound cynical (though I invariably will ),

looking at the top print-out I notice that it was 82 def F (thats 28 degrrees C) -in MAnchester on July 8??? Did they have the central heating full on in teh dyno bay???

I think it was abot 13 degrees C and 1003 millibars on that day.

Apart from that 250 HP at the rear wheel is very impressive stock is 212.5, so an increase of 18%!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:01 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

It certainly doesn't look too bad to me - as long as you have a *noticeable* power increase then it sounds plausible that you have gained 18% or so. And John, don't forget that these upgrades aren't cheap - the AMD Mass Air and Chip will cost around £2000 all told from memory. That's around £50 per HP. And it will get more expensive from there.

Anybody done a Motec conversion yet?
Old 07-17-2002, 08:48 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Christer

the place where I am suggesting we go for a dyno day are into Motec & unichip I think. The guy there seems pretty clued up & more realistic than most people about power gains too.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:25 PM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JohnF: I think it is fairly common to find elevated intake air temperatures in dyno runs, not (just ) because the dyno operator wants to apply a large correction factor, but because after a couple of power runs it gets pretty hot in the dyno cell, and especially hot in the engine bay, despite the best efforts of the cooling fans.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:40 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

I`ve posted these dyno plots to share my inforfatiom and experiences with other rennlisters.I did expect to get a bit more flame than I have, MAF have had apoor press on this board, but you`ve all been very gentle! cheers (especially Christer!!)My time with the MAF hasn`t quite been the utopia that 250rwhp would suggest - but thats another story.
The comments regarding temps are fair enough re: "corrected" hp but 250rwhp is 250 rwhp regardless of temp, and I was there when AMD measured my original gain and since the chip was custom wrote on the dyno the AMD dyno cell was roasting after the chip write - Geoff at AMD said the ECU would be in "sahara mode" at the time of the final measured run.
The reason for the dyno test was because I thought I had lost some power and I was considering a Motec conversion. 930 motorsport look after my car and UK listers are probably aware they do the Motec conversion.930 motorsport don`t have a dyno of their own, hence Astmor garage, which is independant of themselves.The power loss I was experiencing may be attributed to a split silencer, which has been replaced, and it now feels back to it`s previous standard.
930 motorsport have gained nothing from any fabrication of these results - indeed there is no point in me converting to Motec with these power levels since the expected power under Motec on my car were estimated at 310-325 hp.At £4k thats a marginal £400 per hp.I have decided against Motec at this stage.
Colin Belton at 930 indicated that 300hp was as high as it is possible to go on the standard injectors - they use larger (green) injectors with their Motec conversions.
The total cost for the MAF, chip, big bore throttle bodies and cat bypass is almost £2500 so Christor is correst at £50 per hp.However, I feel this compares favorably to other upgrades - Rooks 3.8 litre kit is £8k for 300hp, a supercharger is £6k for 350hp, Motec is £4k for 325hp - hp isn`t cheap.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:05 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Most importantly, how does it feel on the "butt dyno"??

More power or more power lower down etc ??
Old 07-18-2002, 10:05 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

[quote] Most importantly, how does it feel on the "butt dyno"??
More power or more power lower down etc ??
<hr></blockquote>
Butt dyno says more power everywhere.It feels like it pulls as hard in 4th as it originaly did in 3rd.BTW part throttle response is much as well.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:23 AM
johnfm
Drifting

What were the non-utopia elements?? Mainly teething troubles or unstable idle??

Enlighten us! (Without risking litigation, of course)
Old 07-18-2002, 08:38 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

"Non utopian elements"
I had the MAF kit fitted Oct 2000 and it ran perfectly - much more power and drivability - rock steady idle until Mar 2001 when my distributer belt broke.The car went in to my then service centre were the belt was replaced.I immediatly started to have problems with the car stalling - the revs would just fall to almost zero then blip up and then stabilise or not and just stall.The car went back to the mechanics who replaced the distributer belts who could find nothing wrong and suggested the MAF/chip was at fault. Back to AMD who tinkered and did improve things but still an unstable idle and occasional stalling. I decided to put up with this as power was still good and stalling was only a problem in town.
July 2001 after the car had been in to have a split oil hose replaced I noticed a slight hesitation at part throttle openings which got worse over the next few weeks to become a full blown running problem.At this stage I was totally p off as I still had the stalling issue as well ond so I contacted 930 motorsport and they agreed to have a look.Before the scheduled date the car just stopped running while I was some 5 miles from home. I managed to restart eventually but the car would not run at any throttle openings over idle - so a 5 mile trip at idle revs and a week later a nine mile trip at idle to 930 motorsport - not easy with the stalling problem.
930M replaced the O2 sensor, distributer caps androtors and replaced the original airflow meter. The result was rock steady idle and perfect running - but a noticible drop in power to standard levels.
After a fair bit of messing around the car was back at AMD in Oct where the fault was diagnosed as a faulty connector( this took over 6hrs) result - all the power back and rock steady idle as per when it was first fitted.
Since which I had a couple of episodes where the car momentarily lost all power which was cured Jan 2002 when the filmstar electronics were moved inboard by 930M (as opposed to being under the spoiler and getting wet)
Since Jan no running problems.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:23 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Red face

Question,

The term corrected, to what is it applying?

Was the Engine on the dyno? or was it a rolling road? If the later does the term corrected mean allowances for internal friction and pumping losses?

Kevin
Old 07-25-2002, 12:20 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

[quote] The term corrected, to what is it applying?

<hr></blockquote>
I think it applies to estimated drivetrain loss. I prefer hp at the wheels - there`s no BS.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:13 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

When I get the chance, I'll put up my 'before/after' dyno plots done on the same rolling road as this one (when it was 'Tech 9').
I have a Ruf chip which is giving 280bhp.

Quick Reply: Power gains dyno plot