Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Blower Motor - front/dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chaps, a quick question I've now got a faint squeek on one of the fans but mainly on speed '1' and '2' so suspect the bearings are drying out.

Can I actually 'inspect' the fans (ie the squirrel cages) without taking off the firewall like you can with the 993?

What's annoying is I've just had the evaporator replaced and I told the garage to put some oil on the fan bearings as some preventative maintenance when they would obviously have had the heater matrix out. It looks like they forgot to do it
Old 06-14-2015, 02:05 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but I am not sure what you hope to see or accomplish. I guess if you have have some spray lubricant with a tube on it you might could get some onto the shaft and it might work its way down toward the bearings.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Zingari
Pro

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
Yes, but I am not sure what you hope to see or accomplish. I guess if you have have some spray lubricant with a tube on it you might could get some onto the shaft and it might work its way down toward the bearings.
That's what I was thinking for a first attempt to prevent me havingto take out the firewall etc
Old 06-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Bertrand
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put some drops of oil on the shaft with a cut wire-hanger dipped in fluid bicycle oil (the kind you get in a small metal can with a conical nozzle). It worked.
So far 1 year without squeal.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Zingari
Pro

Originally Posted by Bertrand
I put some drops of oil on the shaft with a cut wire-hanger dipped in fluid bicycle oil (the kind you get in a small metal can with a conical nozzle). It worked.
So far 1 year without squeal.
How did you get into the fan area and did you lube the front of the shaft or go behind the squirrell cage?

Anyone with pics/diagram of how I get easy viewing access is appreciated. I can see why they modified these for 993, not least to add pollen filters
Old 06-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Bertrand
Advanced

From memory: I removed the front of the casing from the main casing (losing the bottom clip in he process, I should have taped it to a string of masking tape first), then you can see the squirel cage.
Then I dipped the wire in oil and passed it through the radial spikes of the fan to drop the oil on the axis if the motor.

See picture of fan+motor in https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-motors-3.html

See casings in the second post of Jeff Curtis in https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nt-dash-3.html

NOTE: I only did the rights one (left one is still not squealing after 25 years....
Old 07-29-2016, 12:05 AM
964titan
6th Gear

Default Can the Left A/C Blower Bearings be lubricated without removing the fan assembly?

This question relates to my 1990 Carrera 2 Coupe:

Problem: My Left A/C Blower produces a large amount of grinding noise that increases as I turn the dial for more cold air.

Your post indicated that lubricating the motor bearings might solve the problem of loud noise coming from an A/C Blower assembly. Is there a way to lubricate the motor's bearings without completely removing the fan assembly?

Thanks,
David S.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 964titan
This question relates to my 1990 Carrera 2 Coupe:

Problem: My Left A/C Blower produces a large amount of grinding noise that increases as I turn the dial for more cold air.

Your post indicated that lubricating the motor bearings might solve the problem of loud noise coming from an A/C Blower assembly. Is there a way to lubricate the motor's bearings without completely removing the fan assembly?

Thanks,
David S.
Kind of. From memory you can lube the fan but only after you have removed the fusebox, firewall etc only leaving the fan itself to remove which means you have don 95% of the job. I had the same issue as you and replaced the unit. After all the effort required to get in there I felt that was the way to go.

Last edited by ffc; 07-29-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:40 PM
Feudal Serf
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 964titan
This question relates to my 1990 Carrera 2 Coupe: Problem: My Left A/C Blower produces a large amount of grinding noise that increases as I turn the dial for more cold air. Your post indicated that lubricating the motor bearings might solve the problem of loud noise coming from an A/C Blower assembly. Is there a way to lubricate the motor's bearings without completely removing the fan assembly? Thanks, David S.
You can drill a small hole in the housing, enough to get one of those straws in there to lube it up.
It's blind, and produces an odour for a while. But I've found doing this a couple times a year allows for quiet fan use.

Cheers
FS
Old 07-29-2016, 06:57 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

I though the lube idea, but my fans are so spent it just blows a fuse min I turn it on. Replace time with the cheapo URO fans.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:59 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by greg1990964
I though the lube idea, but my fans are so spent it just blows a fuse min I turn it on. Replace time with the cheapo URO fans.
A set of Uro fans are available for less than $350. There's no way the Porsche fans are worth nearly $900 a piece, it's just that they became rarer and rarer as time went by and the prices went up as a result. I'll probably buy a set and install them as my drivers side fan squeals under certain loads and will have to be replaced sooner or later. Might as well swap out both when I''m in there!

G
Old 05-08-2019, 07:14 PM
rhodescr
1st Gear

I know this is an old post.
I just removed my worn out drivers side fan
hacksaw blades didn't open up the latches
Two common screwdrivers work good though

Randy
Old 01-28-2020, 12:38 AM
J.O.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmorat
A set of Uro fans are available for less than $350. There's no way the Porsche fans are worth nearly $900 a piece, it's just that they became rarer and rarer as time went by and the prices went up as a result. I'll probably buy a set and install them as my drivers side fan squeals under certain loads and will have to be replaced sooner or later. Might as well swap out both when I''m in there!

G
Wondering how the URO fans have worked for you? I need to replace both fans, they keep squeaking and I have tried lubricating them 2x and it never lasts long until the squeak returns. The price of the URO models are so much less expensive ($173 vs $919.50 for OEM on Pelican) it is tempting to try them out but thought I would see if you or anyone had any experience with the URO fans.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:11 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by J.O.
Wondering how the URO fans have worked for you? I need to replace both fans, they keep squeaking and I have tried lubricating them 2x and it never lasts long until the squeak returns. The price of the URO models are so much less expensive ($173 vs $919.50 for OEM on Pelican) it is tempting to try them out but thought I would see if you or anyone had any experience with the URO fans.
I've been running these URO fans for approx 2 years now and no issues so far
So that's well and truly jinxed it now
Old 01-28-2020, 12:21 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The Dansk front blower motors are available for $168USD.

Quick Reply: Heater Blower Motor - front/dash