Sponsored by:

1990 C2 Alarm upgrade????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:28 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1990 C2 Alarm upgrade????

Hello out there. Just bought my first Porsche a 1990 C2. I was reading that there was an upgrade to the alarm system available from TEquipment, information below.

Part Description: Alarm upgrade TEquipment
Part Number(s): 000 044 900 01

This is supposed to be more a more effective alarm and also gives you remote keyless entry. I was quoted $375 for this item from Vertex in FL. Has anyone made this upgrade to their Porsche? If so how involved is it? Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim C.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

wondering myself, but havent found a source so far. Pelican said no longer available.

if you find a source and try one please let me know.

As far as complexity of installation I suspect it just replaces the stock alarm box and comes with a remote. Maybe a small remote antenna you have to run. According to Adrian's book they are actually converted 993 units and thus probably plug in.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:47 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Thanks for your thoughts. If I am able to find one I will let you know. I just bought Adrian's book and that is where I read about the alarm. As you said it is a 993 converted unit.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this -- works great.

http://www.stickdeath.com/2002auto.html

Scott
Old 05-14-2005, 02:23 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

I have an alarm in my 92 that is from Alpine - the stock alarm box remains - a separate, additional box gets wired in (previous owner put it in) and it is awesome. It has a "radar" feature - so if you reach into the car (it's a cabrio) the alarm goes off! It's nice piece of mind when I leave things in there. If you're interested I can get the part number for you...
Old 05-14-2005, 03:19 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Heirsh
wondering myself, but havent found a source so far. Pelican said no longer available.

if you find a source and try one please let me know.

As far as complexity of installation I suspect it just replaces the stock alarm box and comes with a remote. Maybe a small remote antenna you have to run. According to Adrian's book they are actually converted 993 units and thus probably plug in.
They are not plug in for model year 1989 nor 1990. 1991 and up is easier.
Before purchasing anything like this check the fine print. Yes they were available for all models but the amount of installation work required is not included in the sales pitch.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Just checked the alarm and found it does not work at all. Set alarm afterreleasing front hood. Lifted front hood safety catch and no alarm. Anyone have suggestions on troubleshooting the stock alarm or should I just have an aftermarket alarm installed? Looking for advice!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:03 AM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
The engine, trunk, and radio theft switch are typically link together.
The engine cover switch is the same as the door switches (on my 90 cab).
They suffer from corrosion, so gently pry off the rubber cover. And uncrew the switch assembly. check the spring action is OK,and the switch iis not sticking.
Gently clean the contact area on the cylinder.The trunk has a light and a switch in the corner. check the operation of the switch there. Make sure there is a good bulb fitted in the light. The alarm module is right down in the front wing area by the trunk light (if I remember rightly).
HTH
Old 05-18-2005, 06:38 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

One can tell if the front trunk light is "on" even after the lid is closed because the engine compartment light will be "on" which can be viewed through the engine grill. In other words, if the front trunk light is "on" the engine light will also be "on" they're wired together. I suspect the reverse is true, if the engine compartment light is "on" the front trrunk light will also come "on". And, since the radio switch is wired to the front trunk switch and if the infamous green wire is shorted, the trunk and engine lights will be "on". Probably the source of many unknown current drains and dead batteries. So if you set the alarm and the trunk switch is malfunctioning then you open the trunk lid to set off the alarm it won't sound cause the switch was already "on" before the alarm was set.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful
Bill
90C2
Old 05-18-2005, 11:21 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Thanks for your thoughts. I will check out the lights and switches and see if my alarm comes alive.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:15 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by hjcarlin72
Just checked the alarm and found it does not work at all. Set alarm afterreleasing front hood. Lifted front hood safety catch and no alarm.
I'm pretty sure that is the way its supposed to work? The alarm will not arm if the front trunk is already opened and you should get some weird blinking light on the door instead of the normal flash. The only way I've ever been able to set off the alarm in my MY93 (I think you have a different version in your MY90) was to lower the windows, lock the car and then I think I opened something on/from the inside? We tried a bunch of combinations to set the thing off but it was not easy (its too late at night to try right now). If you have a multimeter you can check for a short to ground on the various switches and on the control unit under the seat. If you do have the older control unit you won't be able to test much more, only the newer units (MY91+) are diagnosable with a Bosch Hammer, if there is a problem with yours the door LEDs should flash every .5 seconds.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:54 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

On my MY90 I pop the hood but leave it latched, then look in the rear engine compartment grill to check to see if the light in there is "off". If it isn't "off" then you know the front trunk lid has popped up far enough to turn "on" the switch. Then you set the alarm by locking the doors and if you then unlatch the front hood and open it, the alarm should sound cause the switch has made contact. Another way is to set the alarm by locking the doors with the windows down and then opening the glovebox or doors by manually unlocking (i.e. turning the round ****) by reaching in through the window. Or you can put the key in the ignition again by reaching in through the open window and turning the key and the alarm should sound. The front trunk lid, rear engine lid and I've been told the radio (i.e. green wire) are wired in parrallel. The doors are also wired in parrallel but the glovebox seems to be on a separate circuit.

Bill
90C2
Old 05-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott 1996 993c2
Try this -- works great.

http://www.stickdeath.com/2002auto.html

Scott
Now THAT was funny! I only wish I could buy one of them...
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 AM
puma1824
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
...if there is a problem with yours the door LEDs should flash every .5 seconds.
What type of problems are associated with this? I believe mine is flashing that fast.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:21 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If 10 seconds AFTER you have locked the car the door LEDs start flashing every 1/2 second than you might have a problem with the switch on one of the doors, the engine or front luggage compartment, glovebox, radio or the ignition. Your lucky in that a MY91 alarm system can interface with a Bosch hammer so it is a little easier to figure out what is wrong if something is wrong compared to the older non-diagnosable 928 alarm. But without a hammer the only method I can think of to look for a problem would be to use a multimeter to check for a short to ground on the switches and under the passenger seat at the alarm control module.

Quick Reply: 1990 C2 Alarm upgrade????