Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove rear light unit shields (inside wings)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How to remove rear light unit shields (inside wings)?

Err, not a good description..

There is an alloy plate behind both rear light housings - I guess a heat shield. It is a huge dirt trap, and feeling behind it with my fingers all I can feel an inch deep of soft dry mud. If it wasn't for the heat of the engine, I'm sure this would be a huge moisture trap...I still want rid. Anyone removed these shields to clean this area up? Obviously I'm planning to replace them...

TIA.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The heat shields directly behind the taillights are attached with adhesive and a PITA to remove even if you have the entire backend of the car sitting on the floor (BTDT). You can kinda see one here:

Putting them back into place (with the engine, muffler, oil lines, etc. still attached) will be even more difficult. IF the heat shields are starting to pull away from the body maybe you could try using some compressed air to shoot back there? I definitely would not remove them permanently, the consequences will be a melted tail light housing, the sheet-metal back there is paper thin.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey, thanks: I think I'll just clean up as best I can and bend them back as close to the body as I can.

All that dirt's probably not a problem in practice - if it wasn't for the rear engine drying it out, though, that spot would be a rusty nightmare.

Quick Reply: How to remove rear light unit shields (inside wings)?