Question for those who have replaced their rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 05:44 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for those who have replaced their rear speakers

Are the rear speakers attached to the rear deck in some way other than the four screws? I've removed the grilles, and removed the screws, but I pull on the speakers and they don't want to budge. I am correct in trying to remove the entire assembly from the rear deck, correct? The plastic that the grille clips onto needs to come out, right?
Brian
Old 05-06-2005, 06:17 PM
DaveK
Race Car

From memory - I think you need to take the rear parcel shelf out. I think part of the speaker surround is bigger than the hole, so they have to be fitted and removed from the other side.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:37 PM
drb007
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Heavens no! Don't take out the rear parcel shelf! Just get a thin flat object (putty knife or something that won't rip the shelf material) and "unstick" the speaker. It has a plastic frame that is evident once the grill is off...the plastic often just sticks to the vinyl. They will pop off quite easily.

Don't take the rear parcel shelf off!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen to drb007. He's right!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:49 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Okay, the deed is done. Eric and drb007 were right, the speakers are just "stuck" at the corners. It is very disconcerting to see the vinyl stretching as you attempt to peel the speaker off, but it isn't really, it's just glued down. Go slowly and you'll be fine. I just used a flat screwdriver, took it very, very slowly, and worked my way around the speaker. Not a tough job. Then popped the speakers out, dropped the new ones in (Infinity 6402cfp), wired them up, and screwed them in. They fit perfectly, but as was suggested to me in another thread, it will take some double sided tape to hold them in place since the original frames are now gone. Although I think I like that better anyway. I cringed any time I tried to remove the grilles. I hate to have to put that much force on 15 year old plastic. Thanks guys. Replacing caps and rotors on Thursday. Replacing speakers all around today. I think it's time for a drink.

Brian
Old 05-06-2005, 10:58 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

I guess that's now the 6412CFP? I have Infinitys in the front but haven't bothered with the rears yet. Are you just planning to use the original grilles with the tape? Or do the speakers come with grilles? No mention of 'em on the Infinity website. Maybe those Velcro (TM) dots would work?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I tried using tape, but it didn't hold up well. I ended up "dremeling" off the speaker surround from the old speakers, and bolted that over the new speakers so I could use the old grills. (I put a set of Boston Acoustic speakers in the back.....)
Old 05-06-2005, 11:04 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I have the booklet in front of me. They're Infinity reference 6402cfp plate speakers (the kind with the woofer and tweeter separate, not both center mounted). They did not come with grilles, but it's going to be very easy to reuse the original grilles. I personally would rather do that anyway, just for aesthetics. I'm sure velcro dots would work, or some double sided tape. The grilles aren't very loose, but with some exciting driving, they would probably come off.
Brian
Old 05-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/spnsrs/caraudioinnovations.html (rennlist sponsor) sells Kenwood speakers *with grills* that fit in our (oops, your) rear deck. Rod knows all about our (oops, your) cars. Prices are good, too.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:37 AM
DaveK
Race Car

So much for my memory!
Old 05-08-2005, 02:40 PM
adewatson
Instructor

I had this issue a year or so ago when I replaced my rears. I simply stuck the original grills back in place using blu tac.

They haven't moved since I fited them and you can't tell the original speakers have been changed.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:39 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I put a set of Infinity plates in the rear deck of my Targa. I didn't even think before I did it and just took the deck out. A wasted step because I saw that the speakers could have been put in from the top. I just re-used the factory grills. The car came with Polks in the doors so I'm leaving them alone. It's about an hour of time.

Last edited by craig001; 05-09-2005 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors

Quick Reply: Question for those who have replaced their rear speakers