Sponsored by:

Sat Nav in a 964

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 06:36 AM
69COU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sat Nav in a 964

Hi has anyone installed the new style SAT NAV capable radios in their 964.

Just thinking does our car have the appropriate output from speedo?

I think that they tap into one of the wires but have no idea which.

becker traffic pro that has a pulse from your speedo to give pin point positioning
Old 04-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you easily get lost in England?
I would save your money for something more useful to be quite honest.
Wiring the thing in could end up being a serious nightmare. I have seen the results of modern day all singing all dancing steroes being spliced into the existing wiring loom, scary stuff.
I would look possibly at a hand held device if such a device is needed. I still use road maps and a navigator
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:04 PM
tafkai

Originally Posted by Adrian
I have seen the results of modern day all singing all dancing steroes being spliced into the existing wiring loom, scary stuff.
you've seen the results of a badly installed stereo !!!!
mine only uses the switched feed from the ignition to turn on the head-unit , all other factory wiring is useless !!!

i'm pretty sure you can use sat-nat without connecting it to the speedo , by using just the gps positioner .
Old 04-30-2005, 06:00 PM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting a pulse from the speedo is relative easy in a 964. I tap into the speedo wiring for my digital MPH display. Just for info, if you sample the number of pulses in a 520ms period, 1 pulse = 1 MPH (with my tyre and wheel size).
Old 05-01-2005, 06:25 PM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Rob, do you have details regarding the digital MPH display unit? just what I'm looking for. Cheers. Raymond
Old 05-03-2005, 04:58 PM
robbed666
Racer

Hi Raymond,
The Display is something I built. Its based around a Microchip 16F676 PIC. I can supply you the source code (hex file) to program the PIC, and circuit details, but I don't have time to actually construct the display unit. If you have reasonable understanding of electronics, and can solder. You should be able to build one.
HTH
Old 05-04-2005, 12:12 PM
gilessav
Advanced

have you thought about the PDA and Tom Tom navigation software route? Its then easy to mount the PDA holder and power from the cig lighter. System can then be moved between cars and in the month i've had mine has been excellent. I'd suggest the Bluetooth version. No radio but my PDA can also be used for work/email/camera and MP3 player. Perhaps not what your wanting but at £450 all in not a bad piece of kit!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I also use PDA / Tom Tom and would recommend it.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:39 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom Tom Go is standalone - I think you can even use it on foot if you get lost walking around London!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:12 AM
David P
Instructor

Hi,

I use a Navman 510 in my 964. I've been very happy with it. The route planning and copverage have been great. The web site says there is a UK version too.

David
Old 05-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried the Traveroute program on my iPaq and my laptop... Both programs are terrible! The GPS takes forever to connect and it's very sporadic on the road. Steer clear of that one.

I've heard good things about Tom Tom Go... I was looking for a good Nav system for my car too. I was looking at the Kenwood that pops out of the dash... They even have an interface that can tie in with the engine and give you data about performance! But... It wouldn't clear the dash when it comes out... So Tom Tom is probably the way to go.

I spend a lot of days on the road and the Nav system would be a great tool.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:24 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an Ipaq with Navman bluetooth gps; recently changed from Navman software to TomTom software (still using Navman GPS unit) because of 1) the positive reviews TomTom keeps getting and 2) the speed camera location database that can be run at the same time as the satnav thus giving warnings of known camera locations.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:30 AM
69COU
Racer

I was originally using a Navman GPS with a Palm 505 which was OK but not great. Since then I do not use palm for PDA functions but instead have changed use of a Blackberry.

So basically was not convinced about the handheld GPS style devices.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:58 AM
gilessav
Advanced

Hi,

As was mentioned above the Tom Tom software seems to be pretty good and with my bluetooth gps and IPAQ i've had no problems with connections or freezing in use. You can also get all the major maps of Europe and i believe in June a new software release (about £50) will give full postcode route planning and other updates. The free to upload Checkpoint database with all the various speed camera's and audible warnings etc are also very useful. Think the Tom Tom Go is pretty much similar except you cant use it for other tasks unlike the PDA route. I'll be driving into London this weekend so that'll be the real test of the system for me!

Quick Reply: Sat Nav in a 964