Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 04:17 AM
Peter_964C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1991 964 Cabriolet

I have:
Oil leak ( 5 drops a week)
Water leak ( but can be solved .. I guess)
Left front tire leak

I can't believe that my car was leaking (water) on his first days (1991).
It is hard to believe that the owner of a NEW car can accept that his feeds are wet after driving in the rain. That's why I think that it can be solved.
Iv'e renewed the plastic foil behind the doorpanels and adjusted the doorwindows (easy to do) so that they perfect fit now. There's is still water on the floorpan, but I think I found the reason.
(see topic "Sound proofings are wet")
Old 04-27-2005, 07:25 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I've only driven it in the rain twice but it didn't leak and it doesn't leak when I wash it. Replacing the old faded sunroof seal was the first thing I did to the car but I don't think it really keeps much water out.

c
Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

No leaks of any kind. Sunroof is OK even in a Georgia downpour (inches per hour). I hope it stays that way, but rubber seals after 15 years are on borrowed time.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:44 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Biggest leak was gas pouring out of the filler neck when DEing. (Fixed)
No water.
Oil - "drops" per week.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Springer... I found a partial renewal measure for the rubber seals. I think I mentioned this in another thread. 100% pure silicone shock oil for RC cars and trucks. Any hobby store has it. It sells for a few bucks per bottle and you could do your car several times over with the amount you get. After applying it the seals are like brand new. It works well on rubber and vinyl.

You should try it!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a low mileage 1993 cabriolet- garaged it's whole life, but occasional weekends away where it's parked outside- no water leaks anywhere- not from the top, not in the rear floor mats, not from any windows. No oil leaks that hit the garage floor either (unless there are a few drops that hit the under engine tray). The car has 19K miles, and from the paperwork on the car there was never a period of time where the car was just sitting for years on end, thus none of the bad things of a very low mileage 911 that sat for 10 years and the rubber cracked.

I know that you will think this is crazy, but until I purchased the car a couple of years ago, it was garaged in Florida. My mechanic and tire guy both said it must have had the optimal amount of humidity becuase the rubber is perfect- last year I changed the front tires because they were original, and as far as I can tell the car still has the original v-belts in the motor....is that possible? I don't see anywhere in the paper work where the belts were changed, and I did the first 15K mile service when I bought the car- my mechanic said they were fine. I may change them just for cheap insurance
Old 04-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin
Springer... I found a partial renewal measure for the rubber seals. I think I mentioned this in another thread. 100% pure silicone shock oil for RC cars and trucks. Any hobby store has it. It sells for a few bucks per bottle and you could do your car several times over with the amount you get. After applying it the seals are like brand new. It works well on rubber and vinyl.

You should try it!
Indeed. Very nice point Rick. I actually have RC car shock oil for my other Porsche, an HPI RS4 Super Nitro w/yellow Porsche 996 Turbo body). Never thought of using it for the rubber seals though.

I'll have to use try it out sometime. All of the seals I see on my car look very good though, and there is no leaking. I've been driving it a lot and it's been sitting in fairly heavy rain at work and sometimes at home for the past few days. All dry.

While reading Adrian's book, I was more concerned about how he said water can get under the carpet into the soundproofing foam. Next hot and semi-dry day that I don't plan on going anywhere, I think I'm gonna try to take as much carpet out as I can (within reason) and let the car "air out".

-Harry

Last edited by Euromagination; 04-27-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew911
I have a low mileage 1993 cabriolet- garaged it's whole life...The car has 19K miles... last year I changed the front tires because they were original, and as far as I can tell the car still has the original v-belts in the motor....
Maybe I'm nuts, but I love hearing about these ultra low mileage cars...

Those belts very well could be original. If they were tensioned correctly and, like you said, humidity levels were correct, they could last quite a long time.

Jay
Leak Free 90 964
Old 04-27-2005, 04:39 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I don't want to hijack the topic on this thread, but I'm going to start another thread when I can get a picture of my belts to see if anyone can tell....now I'm curious
Old 04-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I sometimes have to take a leak after I've been driving for a while.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:20 AM
robbed666
Racer

I have a 1990 Cab, out in all weathers NO leaks at ANY speed !
Old 04-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

When does an oil weep become an oil leak? I have half way between the two, I suppose. A drip or two every week, never see it if the undertray's on. No sweat, its a flat six! They (nearly) all do that, Sir.

My wife leaks if she laughs whilst trampolining, but she's way off needing a rebuild.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
My wife leaks if she laughs whilst trampolining, but she's way off needing a rebuild.

Better hope she does not read this thread....
Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

I have a 90 C2 cab.......A bit of air leaks through the seals when the top and windows are up and I'm going about 80+ mph.

Quick Reply: 964's all leak???