Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange ride height observations

Old 04-25-2005, 05:53 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Strange ride height observations

I decided to go with the RS "Sport" ride height which is 125mm front (same as RS) and 230mm rear. Since I'm known to be quite **** about measurements especially as it relates to mechanical function, I made two measuring blocks, one exactly 125mm tall, the other 230mm. Vehicle on level surface, front tires at 36lbs, rear at 44lbs inflation, measuring blocks with surfaces exactly level and with proper 90degree to the long axis on both sides.

After disconnecting both sway bars, and careful adjustments of my JIC/Cross, I drove my car through some speed bumps etc. to help seat/settle all four corners. I can just slide each corresponding block on the proper measuring landmarks, so I know I'm where I'm suppose to be. The problem/observation is that the passenger side wheel fender in front is 1/4 inch taller than the driver side when measuring to the level surface. Also, the driver side rear fender is 1/4 inch taller than the passenger side. Car is straight, no accidents. Any Ideas??

Jaime

Jaime
Old 04-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaime,

I think it's quite common for one side of the car to be slightly higher than other. Have a search through the archives as I'm sure this has been covered before!!

Andy
Old 04-25-2005, 06:54 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They all do that sir.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:10 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if the car is properly corner balanced you will definitely have some differences in height at each corner due to the different amounts of weight each wheel are supporting. I don't know if it amounts to a 1/4 inch, but it can be significant.
Brian
Old 04-25-2005, 08:15 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The steel body panels are stamped from sheet using dies and a heavy press. The spring back is never perfectly the same, particularly for something as deep as a 964 fender. A 1/4 inch discrepancy is nothing to worry about. You would not notice it if you had not measured.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
You have not set your car on a test flat...Unless you can messure the surface your car is sitting on for true flatness ...
Even if you could find a flat floor, the road is never flat. Don't worry, be happy!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, sounds good. too many variables between the floor and monoball. A glass of Penfold's Grange will make it all better!

Jaime

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange ride height observations