964 DME Numbers & settings 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 05:27 PM
apeper
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 DME Numbers & settings 1990 C4

Hello Forum:
Anybody Know the DME "Motronic" Numbers ? I am trying to find out if the "right one" is instaled in my 1990 C4 or not ?.Car is a 5 Speed Non Turbo
On top has Bosch # 0 261 200 182
Porsche part # 911.618.124.02 "WHAT YEAR & MODEL IS THIS ?"
Under that it says : TYP 911 MW D2 -01 "IS THIS THE RIGHT ONE ?"
(Door piller says:Manufacturd by Dr.Ing.hc.F.Porsche AG West Germany 26sep 89) ( vin number is WPOAB2969LS450336)
Salvage Yard has one thats one number off. They have Porsche part number
911.618.124.01 ( so its a 01 on the end rather then a 02
Dealer: says the current number is 911 618 124 04 and that 911 618 124 01 is the old number but the right number for a 1989 & 1990 yr model !
Mine has a aftermarket "Chip" however I belive the DME needs work or replacing and I would love to know what one's will work. Also if you know whats the DME adjustment for ( Plug on side of cover to reach adjustment)
Have anything to do with the Motor Idle by chance ?
Thanks much if any body knows
Apeper
Old 04-16-2005, 01:16 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by apeper
911.618.124.02 "WHAT YEAR & MODEL IS THIS ?"
911-618-124-02 was introduced in May 1989 and used up until about October of the same year.

Dealer in CA.could not find the Number of the DME thats in my car in the book !
He Thought perhaps it was a non export model but could not find the # that way. Via the Porsche "Dealer" Web site ??? Whats up with that ?
The part number has been superceded by 964-618-124-04.

Salvage Yard has one thats one number off. They have Porsche part number
911.618.124.01 ( so its a 01 on the end rather then a 02
Dealer: says the current number is 911 618 124 04 and that 911 618 124 01 is the old number but the right number for a 1989 & 1990 yr model !
911-618-124-01 actually was the part number that superceded 911-618-124-02 so it should work just fine.

I was also told they all interchange from 1989 to 1994 and will work fine ?
I find that hard to belive ? Dealer says 89 & 90.
The rule of thumb seems to be you can use a newer DME control unit in an older car but you can't use an older DME control unit in a newer car.

Mine has a aftermarket "Chip" however I belive the DME needs work or replacing and I would love to know what one's will work.
What makes you think you need a replacement DME? Did you install the battery leads backwards? (first the airbag control unit and now the DME?) Unless the circuit boards have melted it might be cheaper to have your control units fixed by Loren!

Also if you know whats the DME adjustment for ( Plug on side of cover to reach adjustment)
Have anything to do with the Motor Idle by chance ?
I think that adjustment is the fuel quality switch unless you are talking about the jumper connectors on the wiring harness.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:49 PM
apeper
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jason:
Thats good information as the old numbers are no longer of the local dealers book / Web site. So the Dme 911.618.124.02 is the right one for the car. Made end of sept. 1989. Info about later to early units also usefull. I spent the afternoon at a Porshche Raceing & Repair Shop ( Came beer in hand) and found that the adjustment is for idle and sets timeing. Generaly sets all the way to the left (CC) DME has Autothority Chip-I disasembled the unit and a Video repair friend checked it out, Its fine
I am still searching for any bad part as the car runs poorley at times and has a history of such.Yes the Airbag Seatbelt control has fired the "Lights" and the hammer reads Code 62 but thats all. I do not want to replace it until I find ( or try to find) what fired it off because if I install another control whats to say something will not fire it off again . ( then I will need another one ) Yes everything would need to be checked upon instalation - like the pill rest. etc.No I did not instal the battery backwords thanks for the input. The "good news" is that I discovered that Air-Flow box & unit is hanging up and causing poor running. I fooled around with it and it is runing fine so far. I think I shall install a DELCO unit in with some voltage adj.(they fit and are like to a 1995 type) Perhaps the Control ( Airbag) failing is within itself or was fired by my finaly discovered bad DME relay. I can tell you one thing I shall be standing to the side upon turning on the key as I heard the story about the Insurance ADJ. inspecting a wreck and upon turning on the key to read the millage (later model ) was killed when the AirBag fired.
Thank you Jason - Happy Motoring
1990 C4 Never Wrecked Allways Pampered - Battery in Right- Apeper

Quick Reply: 964 DME Numbers & settings 1990 C4