Lowering seat supports in the shell

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 02:51 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Lowering seat supports in the shell

I know I have seen a reference to it (maybe Colin?), but can not find it again:
I want to lower the seat support points in the car shell. Any pointers on how to do it the most efficiently? Or a link to where this was done around here?
Old 04-19-2024, 03:19 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

My car is at at workshop for a full respray and some updates.. One of the updates is also the task you are referencing.... The will completely remove the seat support and weld in the parts from cardiff (cage builder in germany): https://www.cardiff-motorsport.de/pr...hweiss-konsole

I think, this will create another 5cm headroom...
Old 04-19-2024, 05:41 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

If you look at my RUF thread in the 964 Turbo forum you can see how we did this.
Basically we cut out all of the seat supports and then added reinforcements to the chassis crossmembers with captive nuts for the seat bolts.
This is worth approximately 2.5 inches or 6cm of headroom, plus or minus depending on the thickness and angle of your new seat.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:16 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Here it is : https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...l#post19347318
Old 04-20-2024, 12:14 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Yes! Many thanks to all.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:57 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Make sure to let us know how it works out for you. I've been considering the same but in Japan- it has to look stock.

Pete
Old 04-21-2024, 12:43 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

I have taken a thin wooden plank and made an exact template of the different holes in the shell for the seat rails first, to have a reference for when I weld in the next supports. I'll match this template to the RS bucket seat rails as well.

I have removed the factory seat rail supports from the shell, driver side so far. NOT fun, lots of spot welds, trying no to drill through the shell (luckily I can weld )
Now I am leaning towards making thick steel plates and have them welded in place by a pro welder, with threaded inserts. The factory setup is rather thin steel (was torn in pieces in project Shrek due to the overweight first owner of that car), so it shouldn't be hard to mahe stronger supports.

As to technical inspection, these are in a very low, very dark, very black painted area of the car. Doubt anyone would notice.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2024, 01:00 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
Now I am leaning towards making thick steel plates and have them welded in place by a pro welder, with threaded inserts. The factory setup is rather thin steel (was torn in pieces in project Shrek due to the overweight first owner of that car), so it shouldn't be hard to mahe stronger supports.
That's what we did. The stock mounts felt very flimsy. I'm sure they were strong enough, but I felt more comfortable with everything mounted more solidly.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:19 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

I’m 6’ 4”, but really didn’t want to start cutting up the seat rails. Tillet offers a couple of great seating options that will lower the seats as low as you can stand. The new Cobra Nogaro also works well, as the seat base (bulb) fits between the rails, and drops the seat nice and low. Just saying there may be options short of cutting up the rails.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:16 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

I know there are options, but since I am working with a dismantled car, I want to do what can not be done on a complete one.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:24 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

I’d consider this for anyone (tall) that wants reclining/folding seats and still wants to hit the track on occasion. I have Recaro sportsters and went to a fair amount of trouble to get them as low as possible. They said just a hair lower than the stock seats and my car is a non-sunroof car and a 6’3 my helmet still just gazes the roof headliner if I don’t recline the seat back a little bit more than I’d like.

That said, what I’d really like to do is get a set of Tillets and switch them out for track days…

Quick Reply: Lowering seat supports in the shell