Timing housing oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 04:12 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing housing oil leaks

It has been bothering me for a while, so next valve adjustment (coming soon) I need to fix the oil seepage from the timing chain housings on both sides of my engine. The leakage is slight... no puddles... but I like my engine compartment very tidy. Looking at the workshop manuals, it appears the leak(s) could be from the timing cover gasket, the camshaft seal, or the chain housing to crankcase gasket, but it is hard to really tell. Has anyone had any experience with leaks in this area? Are some or all of these seals notorius for leakage? Can they be replaced without removing the engine (with only the exhaust and valve covers out for the valve adjustment)? Any tips or tricks for a job well done? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-31-2001, 08:03 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts
Mark;

It is very unlikely that your camshaft seal and crankcase to chain housing gasket is leaking. If you have a chance, grab a 10mm wrench and gently tighten the 9 chain housing nuts. If they continue to leak, your gaskets need to be replaced. Good luck
Old 11-01-2001, 12:14 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mark:

I have the leak you describe on my '90 C2. Definitely take Kevin's advice and try tightening those chain housing nuts. I did that and it helped a little, though the leaks are still there.

My mechanic told me that he could probably replace those gaskets with the engine still in the car, but there would be a bit of labor involved to remove stuff to get at the housings. He advised me to just let it leak (if it's not too bad) until the motor needs to be dropped for any major service. My leak is not that critical. In the same breath he told me to keep a close eye on the leaks to insure they weren't getting any worse.

I can understand your want to get rid of those leaks. I'm getting sick of the small mess under my car and may just have those gaskets replaced if I have a few more nickels to rub together soon.

Good luck,
Jay
90 964
Old 11-01-2001, 01:25 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mark;

Does your RSA have A/C? The gaskets can be replaced without the engine being dropped.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:46 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi and thanks for the response! Kevin, my car does have A/C (pretty necessary for Tucson summers!). I scoped it out a bit closer last night, and I think I will clean things up with brake cleaner, torque the cover bolts (anyone know the torque spec off-hand?), and drive for the 500 miles or so before it is valve adjustment time. If it still leaks, I can change the gaskets when I do the valves. I am assuming the extra labor Jay mentioned involves the removal of the rear engine shroud... hope that isn't too funky. I will post after I fix the leaks,

Thanks, Mark.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mark;

Torque is 4ft/lbs. I'm pretty sure that there are only 8 fastners holding on the rear tin. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Timing housing oil leaks