Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight of a design 90? Nothing in search found, nor on wheelweights.com..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Post Weight of a design 90? Nothing in search found, nor on wheelweights.com..

Still swithering about wheels and lowering. I also wondered if Cup 17's were lighter (because newer), or heavier (because bigger), than d90's - or about the same?

I know I wouldnt probably notice the difference, but, well the C4 is already a bit on the overweight side, and it is unsprung weight we're talking after all..

Phil R - if you're reading this, any regrets now you've put a few miles on the eibachs? I reckon they're what I'll go for..
Old 05-08-2003, 03:50 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I've seen a number of posts in the past which says that D90s are actually about the lightest you'll get. If it wasn't for the styling...
Old 05-08-2003, 05:32 PM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Design 90's are approximately 18lbs in the front for the 6-in and 20 lbs for the rear 8-in. The 17-in genuine Cup II's (993) wheels are about 18 lbs front and 19.5 rear, I have aftermarket cup II's that come in at 22lbs/23.5 lbs. front and rear. Since these are larger wheels, the design would suggest these are lighter design of wheel. But then you need to account for the heavier tire. I always notice from an acceleration standpoint when my design 90's are on compared to my cup II's
Old 05-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Johnny5
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. OOps - logged in under an old user name by accident. Johnny 'G' here..

Anyway - Hmm, interesting.
Jon, do I understand you correctly in that you actually notice better acceleration with d90's on vs aftermarket cup 2's?

I remember sticking lighter wheels on my trusty Orange Clockwork mountain bike and it handling like it had halved the weight of the bike, even though it was only actually a couple hundred grams.

Maybe d90's will win the day. I reckon that the narrower front tire will give better steering feel, my commute across the Tay Bridge (expansion joint-orama) will remain vaguely comfortable, and I will save valuable quids at tyre change time..

Dave - I have stuck 'Carrera 4' script centre caps on my d90's in place of the colour crests, and it makes them look ALOT better. Watch this space, if I ever work out how to post photos.

Quick Reply: Weight of a design 90? Nothing in search found, nor on wheelweights.com..