Sponsored by:

Rear Sunroof Seal - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 03:02 AM
C4Expat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rear Sunroof Seal - DIY?

I noticed a strage vibration noise when cruising on the Autobahn yesterday. There was no noise under 180km/hr but it started there and got worse the faster I went. The culprit was a loose sunroof rear seal that was litteraly flapping in the wind and on my roof!

Anyone had this problem and fixed themselves? I was wondering If I could just glue the seal back in place. When I wash the car it has a tendency to slide around and come out of the groove. Sometimes when I use the sunroof, it will fold under itself and not seal properly.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-30-2002, 05:58 AM
SteveW@stig
Instructor

I had the one on my car replaced by the body shop. You have to take out the whole sunroof assy to fix the rear seal. BTW: Do not bother fixing the old seal buy a new one from you OPC they are not expensive.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts
Default sunroof seal

I did this DIY today. Getting the roof out is the easy part. Getting that seal to sit at the correct height and actually meet up exactly with the seal on the car is another story. And man is that 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive a mess to work with. If anybody has any questions I'll offer up what I learned.

c
Old 11-24-2004, 01:19 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

How do you remove the roof Chris? I'd like to take mine off to remove the headliner portion to "buy" a little more head room. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

garrett376, the headliner removal is MUCH easier than you think!

Just open your sunroof halfway, pop the front edge of the sunroof headliner off with your fingers and carefully operate your sunroof the rest of the way open and slide out the headliner panel...no roof segment removal is necessary.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

OH...in regards to changing the rear portion of the sunroof seal:

1) Purchase a NEW seal...don't re-use, you've gone this far to take the roof section out, do it right.

2) The 3m "Super" Weather Adhesive is messy, use Nitrile or Latex gloves...Nitrile is MUCH easier to work with as the Latex tends to stick to the project more than desired.

3) YES, it is very much a DIY project for the non-Rubik's Cube challenged projects mgr.
***There's an 80s reference for ya!***

4) FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS on the 3M stuff, lay a thin layer of it on BOTH mating surfaces...this will work TENFOLD when compared to the "I'm a guy, don't need instructions" disposition.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Flagg
Racer

I once read a quote about up-grading at Porsche for the track:

"if your car has a sunroof - the best thing you can do is weld it shut....."

Do you use the sunroof? If not can it be removed for head room? Has anyone done this?

I love not having a sunroof in my RSA - Clean lines, no leaking or electrical problems, Structural rigidity, weight, head room (I believe it is 1-3/4" extra - I do not have to adjust my seat to wear a helmit............).

Flagg
Old 08-15-2006, 10:41 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4Expat
... When I wash the car it has a tendency to slide around and come out of the groove. Sometimes when I use the sunroof, it will fold under itself and not seal properly. ...
My rear sunroof seal has always had a few mm of space behind it, between the seal and the fixed portion of the roof. It's not squished up tight the way the front seal is. So if I forget and wash front to back rather than side to side, the seal pulls away from the back side of the sunroof, like C4Expat's. I just did it this weekend. Is this normal? I realise I need to reglue it, but is it supposed to be tightly squeezed between the sunroof panel and the roof? And no, it doesn't seem to leak...
Old 08-16-2006, 12:28 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4Expat
Sometimes when I use the sunroof, it will fold under itself and not seal properly.
What sunroof? Did 964's come with sunroofs?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:15 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Thank goodness I found this thread. I got up this morning to find a puddle of water behind the driver seat (not to mention water running down the side of it). It was dripping out of the head liner right next to the light. ****.

I'll try to do this myself... I think the car seal needs replacement as well, might as well do it all right, right? If I manage to succeed in this, I'll post some picts and thoughts on the process. Right now I'm just miffed I had to move the 964 into the garage and get the other car wet and dirty today.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Sten
Pro

Check your drain tubes... pass some fencing wire or stiff electrical cable down the drain tubes - just be careful you don't disconnect the tubing by being over zealous
Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

I'll second that vote for clogged drain tubes!

EZ fix.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:39 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
I'll second that vote for clogged drain tubes!

EZ fix.
I'll third that. Mine poured water all over me one day when I braked. Took it to the mechanic convinced I needed new seals, and they pointed out that they're not actually waterproof. That's why we have drain tubes - and mine were blocked.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

One more for the tubes. The seals don't really "seal" anything. They just keep debris out of there. If you've got a wet interior then your tubes are clogged.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:47 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

LOL. I'm a tard.. sheesh. I all up and ordered new seals all around.. now.. it makes sense.. looking at them.. like.. how in the world do those seal? They don't!

Well.. I have an all-new set of seals coming in case I ever need them.. :/

THANKS for the info on the drain tubes. I'll scrounge the site for the fix info... might need to go and buy some wire to clean them out but that's doable.

Sheesh.. what a dope I am.

Thanks guys.. again... and again... and again.. . this site kicks butt!!

Now.. my 993 has a REAL leak at the base of the windshield that I need to look at. Thing is I can hear a faint whistle of wind lately and putting my finger around the base where I saw a drip of water, changes the sound. DOH! More fun with seals!!!

Quick Reply: Rear Sunroof Seal - DIY?