Sponsored by:

RSA Steering rack into a C4

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 01:05 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts
Post RSA Steering rack into a C4

What do you think about this "upgrade"? Would the 1993 RS America rack fit into my 1990 C4? Would this make sense? I suppose the benefits are less weight, more feel; and the costs are the additional effort needed to park, etc, and of course - the cost.
I'm not sure how much effort it would take for my mechanic to fit it onto my car, but the part seems reasonably priced at $200 for an allegedly low mileage example.
Since I do some track driving and like unique upgrades, I am considering this.
Thanks in advance for any comments!!
Old 08-26-2002, 05:34 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Jack,
Yes it can be installed. The cost is enormous and I doubt you would gain any benefit from this,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-26-2002, 11:09 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try an RSA if you can. Such an "upgrade" as you called it would only be deemed worthwhile if you enjoyed the experience.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:33 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Joey,
I cannot agree I am afraid. The RSA has only free front wheels to steer. It is no comparison to trying to steer wheels connected to a differential and are not always prone to do what you want, without some major resistance. The only true comparison would be to find one of the 20, 911(964)C4RSs built.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-26-2002, 11:50 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Adrian:
<strong>Dear Jack,
Yes it can be installed. The cost is enormous and I doubt you would gain any benefit from this,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Adrian,

Can you expand on why the cost is enormous?

I have a friend that owns a '95 993 2WD, and he had considered swapping over to the 964 RSA's manual unit. But, he was told by Steve W. that the cost is significant, and the work complicated, or something to that effect. We thought about it for a short while, and we figured you would have to block off the camshaft driven power steering pump, plug hydraulic lines, remove or abandon in place the fluid reservoir and various hydraulic lines. I think we may be missing something??

Interestingly, my (993 owning) buddy has learned that the 993RS uses the 964 power steering rack. What he didn't know it why Porsche chose to install the 964 unit in the 993RS. As the 993RS uses the 964 rack, he'll likely install it in his car (he's been told it will bolt-on), to replace his leaking rack. Better yet, a rebuilt 964 rack is easier to find and cheaper than a 993 rack.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:52 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Randall,
We are talking horse for courses here. A 964 C4 AWD conversion to manual versus a 993 RWD. Not the same at all to be quite honest. All the 911s you mentioned are RWDs including the 993RS. Th eoriginal poster asked about a C4. Now I have time to finish this post. The various changes to wheel suspension (C2 and C4 not the same), mounts and just getting access to things is not easy and again as I said in my first post, turning powered wheels is a lot harder than turning unpowered wheels so why bother. I am actually not sure if in a C4 this would be regarded as unsafe. I know of a Speedster owner who changed from powered to unpowered steering but his pockets are very deep. This was an expensive job carried out by a highly reputable US based company.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: RSA Steering rack into a C4