Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where the heck are all the C2s for sale????HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 07:46 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs down

Having sold an 89 C4 and bought a 96 C4 over the past few months, I found Pano's ads to offer no value - except, perhaps, as examples of unrealistic expectations.

Pete in DC
96 C4
Old 08-26-2002, 08:51 PM
thenmauk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lefty,
I have a 1994 c2 black/black, coupe, 5 speed, 17 inch cup wheels, new so3's, new clutch and flywheel,40,000 miles, 45,000 mile service done. When I purchased the car four months ago it was completely inspected and brought up to like new condition by Lynch Porsche in Chicago, which is where I live. I want $32,000 for it though.

Thanks,
Thenmauk
Old 08-26-2002, 09:33 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post
Lefty,
Welcome to the world of supply and demand. The situation that you are describing, while admittedly very frustrating, is simply due to high demand for 964's. I'm sure that it may seem to you that these cars are WAY overpriced, but as long as there are people willing to pay those amounts, the price is justified. And this phenomenon only speaks to how exceptionally awesome 964's are. Find me a car out there that you'd rather have for $25-30,000. I'm sorry to be the one to break the news to you, but these cars are simply worth it!!!

On the bright side, you will be the one smiling when you are explaining to a prospective buyer of YOUR 964 why you are asking $25,000 10 years from now.

My advice to you: Don't get caught up waiting find a smokin' good deal for a good 964. Your idea of what fair market value for these cars may be equally as distorted as the person who is selling theirs. Most 964 owners are pretty sharp cats, and know what their cars are worth. You may have to accept the fact that for the very same reason that you covet a 964, they are in fact worth the sick prices that people are asking.

Be patient... you'll find your car.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:40 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Since Pano ads are free (for PCA members), people put ads for cars that they have no intention of selling, except at the completely unrealistic asking price in the ad. One ad I saw for a 911 in the current edition of Pano actually started with "$[unrealistic asking price], but it has x, y and z..." (none of which would justify the asking price). I guess the seller was tired of people calling and telling him that his asking price was unrealistic.

If you want an accurate indication of what pcars are really selling for, I would look in your local paper.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:39 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

[quote]Originally posted by RSAErick:
<strong>Lefty,
Welcome to the world of supply and demand...
My advice to you: Don't get caught up waiting to find a smokin' good deal for a good 964. Your idea of what fair market value for these cars may be equally as distorted as the person who is selling theirs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Very astute observations, RSAErick! The difficulty in trying to determine the fair price, though, is compounded by the numerous alternatives available around $30K, i.e an RSA or 993. But I think JFKaminsky summed it up nicely with his point about car's being worth only what people are willing to pay for them--so true.

I just saw Lefty, today, and he's out of the country for the rest of the week. While I won't presume to speak for him, I can only assure you that his resolve is unwavering and his desire to find a smokin' deal is as strong as ever. Who knows, he might still surprise us all by finding that elusive white whale. Best of luck, Captain Ahab!

I also gave him some details regarding an exquisite example which met many of his criteria and then some, i.e. upgraded brakes, suspension, clutch and cosmetics. If he can land THIS car for anywhere near $25K, I'd say he was the king of the whale hunters. Stay tuned.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:50 PM
eion
Instructor

I know that this isn't desperately helpful, but nice (IMO) examples can be had for $25k. I bought my car a few weeks ago, and I paid $25,120 after tax, registration, etc. - the car has been tracked and has quite a few miles, the A/C doesn't run cold, and it's been repainted (albeit not *quite* perfectly, and not in the original colour, but I've got the mix instructions) - but it's had all the necessary updates and maintenance done, runs well, doesn't seem to leak, has updated brakes and clutch, updated suspension (Eibachs if I remember correctly, I've got the receipt), 17" cup wheels, and a *very* nice stereo (that the dealer didn't mention) - in other words, all the upgrades that you'd want.

Like I say, not terribly helpful, except to take heart, cars are very much available for what he wants to pay.

Quick Reply: Where the heck are all the C2s for sale????HELP!