Old 09-10-2001, 12:04 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts
Post looking to buy a 964, found one....I think

Hello all. In my search for a 964, I did look at one today in socal. Its a 91 C2. Amethyst(sp?) in color. Only had 4way power seats. Clutch pedal feels nice and light like it had a recent clutch installed. 80k miles, 5 Speed.

My question is, it has the black plastic intake manifold and a build date of aug/90.
Vin is: wpoab296xms410381.

Can anyone tell me more about the half year of production for 1991? When did the D.M.F. get updated? Also what was the engine number that the cylinder heads get that O-ring update?

Any other advise?

BTW, it does have the dist. vent kit installed. The tubing has yellowed a little, which tells me that its been on their awhile.

Anyhow, thanks again guys (and gals)

Chris
Old 09-10-2001, 02:32 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris:

August of 1990 would be the earlier part of the production run. The cylinder head updates began after number 62 M 06836. The LUKs didn't replace Freudenbergs until May of 1992, but considering the miles on the car, odds are pretty good it's been replaced....check for receipts showing this, and if they have them, write down the part number for the replacement flywheel and see if it was a LUK.

The cylinder leakage problem is grossly overblown. In my opion, most of the problems associated with the 964 series are grossly overblown...even the Freudenberg (it WILL likely fail, but it's not like they fail every 500 miles). If I didn't believe that I wouldn't have bought the 1991 model I did.

About the only other advice I would give is that you should get a PPI done. You might want to review the survey at www.smartgroups.com (you might need to become a member if not one already).

Good Luck

Bill Wagner
Old 09-10-2001, 04:19 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Chris,
USA Version production of the 1991 model started in May 1990. The plastic intake was introduced in June or July 1990 for the USA and a bit later for ROWs. In Nov 1990 a major revision was made to the rear suspension. The LUK flywheel installation "officially" started on the production line for the 1993 model year. USA first, then ROW but C2s only,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking to buy a 964, found one....I think