Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 12:18 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Brian,

Surely you know - Adrian's book is much more absorbing than the phone book...
John,
I would wager that it is, but the phonebook was free. Adrian's book was a bit more expensive.
Originally Posted by Chris M.
Did you take the wheel off to access the drain plug in the back left side of the wheelwell? I've heard some say they don't get much oil out of it but to do it anyway. Any opinions (everybody)?
Also, if you jack the car up to take the wheel off, won't that make it unlevel and therefore keep some of the oil from draining out properly? I guess you could jack the other side up just to make things equal.
Chris,
No, I took the wheel off to give myself more room to work... Okay, that's just an excuse. I don't really remember why exactly I took the wheel off. I think maybe the tire was in the way of my drain pan or something. Anyway, as far as jacking the car up ruining the balance and not allowing the oil to drain, I actually put the front on ramps (you can see that in the picture) and jacked the rear end up just a bit lower than the front so that any oil up front in the cooler could drain back to the thermostat.
Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
So are you demonstrating the correct or the incorrect way to do it??
Marc,
I wouldn't say "correct" so much as I would say "a way that worked for me" (if my drain pan wouldn't have had such a tiny little hole to allow the oil in). I did it this way, and other than spilling about 7 quarts of oil all over the floor of the garage (I think I managed to get about 3 in the pan) it worked really well. YMMV.

Brian
Old 02-27-2005, 12:21 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooh wait, John, did you mean for your comment to have a double entendre? (absorbing: meaning able to soak things up, but also meaning interesting reading) If so, I've just now caught on and you are much too clever to waste your little quips on me.
Brian
Old 02-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Marc,
I wouldn't say "correct" so much as I would say "a way that worked for me" Brian
I was referring to the large puddle under your car -- is this normal?

(more wasted quips, me thinks ).

Marc
Old 02-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay - thanks to all for the oil change advice.

Sadly I did not get to it this weekend as my wife had kindly thought of a whole list of other things that were much more important for me to do... Soon, I hope.

I did manage to get a dead pedal installed though - I was a little paranoid about drilling blindly so I took the front left wheel off (LHD car) and the plastic underpanel (as per John Miles' site about wipe washer pump change) to check I wasn't going to drill a brake line or something. I'm happy to say that no fluids gushed from the car upon drilling and now my left foot has a happly little place to rest.

Marc