Sponsored by:

Is LHD so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 08:38 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is LHD so bad?

When I was looking for my 964 I didn't really consider LHD - although I admit that buying one was a snap decision so I didn't look for very long anyway.

I just happened to be browsing a few Porsche sites and see that Northway have a 993 TT in black - which is the right colour - with black leather interior - also the right colour - for £35K.

Seems like a bit of a bargain - 39K miles, full OPC history etc. - but of course it's LHD.

I have thought for a long time that these were THE Porsche to own (it's a personal taste thing) but recently thought that the £45K - £50K most of them cost is just too bigger percentage of my mortgage. But £35K is quite affordable.......

I'm (probably) not giving this serious consideration - after all, I have a 964 I'd need to sell first - but I am tempted to go and have a look at the weekend (they do take p-ex.....).

I'm curious to know how LHD owners get on though (and I know there are some because I've met plenty). Does it really make much difference? Is it really a good reason not to buy a 400bhp+ car?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Dave,

Personally I have no problem driving a LHD car. It takes a couple of days to get used to being the other side of the car, mainly because your reference points change. You might find that you drift towards the centre line a little as you switch from using that as the reference point to using the kerb but other than that the only thing that annoys me is getting into car parks. Oh, and getting a drive through when you're on your own can be a bit tricky!

The thing people seem to worry about most of all is overtaking but when you have a 911, especially a 400+bhp pne you can afford to hang back that little bit further to give you enough space to see round anything that's in front.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Christer
Race Car

I don't think it makes any difference, or at least less so in a (very) high performance car....The thing is to pay the right price in the first place (like anything) because there are a lot of people in the UK that don't like them for whatever reason. That includes me actually, as I used to have a 1976 Ford Thunderbird and currently drive a LHD Freelander and its such a pain in the *** for ticket machines, Dartford Tunnel and other things like that...and I like to be able to drive my car anywhere at any time even though I don't most of the time if you see what i mean? This would give you a brilliant excuse not to come over to Essex again though...with that Dartford toll....

I would go and have a look, and drive it. If all looks/feels well maybe have a serious think about a PPI and perhaps more....

In fact, I would be tempted to come with you but I have some chores....
Old 02-24-2005, 09:35 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I may well go to see it. Got a quote of Confused.com - and the lowest was £1100 which seems like a bargain. Lancaster had to talk to the underwriters but will get a quote from them in an hour. Just in case........
Old 02-24-2005, 10:24 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

£35k LHD or £45K RHD isn't particularly relevant when you look at how much these things can cost to run. An engine refresh can easily cost over £10k. The Evo long termer did £11k in just over a year and nothing bar routine stuff went wrong with it.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

I have recently gone from LHD 3.2 Carrera to RHD 964 C2, and to be honest in terms of ergonomics and driving position I prefer the LHD. There is no pedal offset to twist your back, the glovebox ****, stereo volume **** and filler cap **** are all on the right side. Driver's door opens onto pavement side when parking on the left. Visibility is still very good, esp over right shoulder when joining motorways etc (actually much better than RHD version). And the big clincher is it saves you a decent slug of cash vs RHD. The only downside.............. as mentioned above, car park ticket barriers are a pain, but that's it really.
I was actually looking for a LHD 964 and only ended up with a RHD slightly by accident !

Jamie
Old 02-24-2005, 10:30 AM
C2MED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LHD 993 actually has better pedal positions, which I find more comfortable to drive than RHD esp for long journeys. Fair bit of discussion re RHD vs LHD in 911uk.com but at the end of the day, you either love it, don't mind it or hate it. Must try one to find out first before committing yourself. As mentioned, drive through and ticket machines/tolls are a bit of a pain but the advantages out weight the slight pain, for me anyway.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:54 AM
DaveK
Race Car

£35k LHD or £45K RHD isn't particularly relevant when you look at how much these things can cost to run. An engine refresh can easily cost over £10k. The Evo long termer did £11k in just over a year and nothing bar routine stuff went wrong with it.
I accept the running costs will be significantly higher than my 964, and that doesn't bother me too much. Within reason, that's not a problem and I can certainly afford it.

It's more the case that my capital is £xK now, and £35K is an acceptable amount and £45K isn't. Even if I waited a few months and my capital was £xK + £yK, I seem to have a bit of a mental block spending more than £40K on a car. For some reason, £35K doesn't seem so extravagant although I can't explain it in any logical way.

I probably won't anyway - just investigating my options.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:06 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaveK
although I can't explain it in any logical way.
A useful way of debating

Try this quiz male or female brain sex

The GF prefers to argue using the "I can't explain it in any logical way." methodology
Old 02-24-2005, 11:13 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I'm not entirely convinced I have a logical argument for why I need any 911 in the first case. From a purely practical - and logical - point of view, I don't.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:59 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LHD is not too much of an issue but then again I have never driven the RHD version. I hear from others who have tried both, like Jamie, that LHD is ergonomically better than the RHD. I bought mine as a LHD as RHD version of my car costs too much (priced as if they were new!!) and I couldn't justify that kind of cost. I also took the view that I will have a bigger market to sell to in LHD so I was quite happy to buy the LHD version. I do have another runabout so I guess LHD in a car I only use for pleasure isn't too big a factor.

Harry
Old 02-24-2005, 01:04 PM
leosayer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A RHD car will probably cost you exactly the same in maintenance, insurance and depreciation as LHD so why not just get the RHD if you're more comfortable sitting on the right?

I spent a day driving and being driven in a LHD 964 RS a while back and had no problems with driving it, but being a passenger was f****** scary on tight b roads. Every car coming in the opposite direction seemed to be a head-on crash about to happen.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:21 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Being from the U. S. I don't know how you guys drive with the steering wheel on the 'wrong' side in the first place.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

It takes a very short time to get to grips with being on the left, especially as these cars are pretty small really. Its been said plenty of times that the ergonomics are better on the LHD cars. So who cares if you have to lean over to get a ticket from a barrier on rare occasions !

Get the TT Dave !!
Old 02-24-2005, 02:43 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I've looked quite a few times to LHD P-cars which were on sale in the UK and found that the difference in price was really big. The prices for LHD's seem to be lower than on the mainland although I just saw this black 95 Tip 993 with 90.000miles for a staggering 18.000 pounds. Very hot price me thinks even for Belgium.
Porsche 993

Quick Reply: Is LHD so bad?